I'm pleased to announce that Gen 8.6 now provides the option to have passwords up to 200 characters in the Client Manager. This is in response to customer requests for Password Phrases, also known as Passphrases.
Summary of requirements for Passphrase:
- Allow unique characters, embedded spaces, and mixed case.
- Upgrade encryption and decryption from DES to KDFAES.
- Allow 100 characters.
Gen's capabilities related to Passphrase support:
- Gen already supports unique characters, embedded spaces, and mixed case via the security manager. Users are responsible for setting what to enforce when validating the Passphrase.
- Gen provides Exits for users to control encryption and decryption, like KDFAES.
- Gen currently provides a field for passwords up to 64 characters via Enhanced Security feature using WRSECTOKEN user exit.
- NEW: Gen's Client Manager is now enhanced to support up to 200 character passwords.
Scope of this New Enhancement:
- Enable customers to use "Remote-Enhanced" Security Level in the Client Manager for application layer security. The benefits of "Remote-Enhanced" Security Level is increasing password from 8 characters to 200 characters and enabling encrypted CFB messages. Passwords will be saved in the security offset, which allows for up to 200 characters.
- In scope: Sockets to CICS and C servers under the TE.
- Out of scope: Sockets to IMS, CPI-C,TUXEDO Proxy Client and RSC/MP. These will continue to support passwords up to 8 characters.
- Includes compatibility with ECHO.
- Includes optional Encryption from Client Manager.
- Default behavior will continue to support password length up to 8 characters.
- The following security exits are also impacted by this change:
- On z/OS: exit TIRSECVX , TCP/IP Listener exit TIRSLEXT
- On C servers: exit TIRSECV
- ENCRYPT user exit is added for Client Manager
- Also impacted is the Client Manager Server Configuration and File Setup.
You can find the solutions here:
For more information:
- Reference documentation in Gen's 8.6 Tech Docs.
- There is also a "HELP" button in the Client Manger
Did you know? This enhancement originated from this Community Idea submission. Submit your enhancement ideas and vote for ideas that impact you. You can shape the roadmap for Gen!
Note: Gen has moved to a continuous delivery model. To learn more about Broadcom's approach to continuous delivery and maintenance best practices, read HERE.
Product Owner, Gen