ESP Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

ESP Scheduling when master is down for days

• 1.  ESP Scheduling when master is down for days

Posted Sep 15, 2015 04:00 PM

Have an ESP event scheduled on a TEST LPAR. The TEST LPAR is not brought up daily.  The ESP Master resides on this LPAR.

EVENT ID(VDR.VDRSYSF) SYSTEM(MASTRF)  REPLACE            

CALENDAR SYSTEM                                           

SCHEDULE 13.00 DAILY OVERDUE(0)

INVOKE 'PP1.ESP.ESPPROC.AUTO(VDRSYSF)'                    

We want to make sure that when the LPAR is started, that only 1 generation of the Event runs (at 13:00 or later) (so if we are down for 10 days, don’t want 10 generations running, just one.)

The OVERDUE(0) prevents it from running the multiple generations.

So we have it scheduled for 13:00 daily, but if the LPAR comes up after 13:00, it doesn’t run.

Not sure how to code this in ESP, so that it will run at least once, on the day the LPAR is started, even if the LPAR comes up after 13:00.

The only other thought is, to have OPS/MVS trigger in the EVENT , rather than schedule it thru ESP.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sal

• 2.  Re: ESP Scheduling when master is down for days

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 16, 2015 07:54 AM

Hi Sal,

I think you should use OVERDUE(1) or nothing since it's the default, and adjust your event definition:

EVENT ID(VDR.VDRSYSF) SYSTEM(MASTRF)  REPLACE            

CALENDAR SYSTEM                                           

SCHEDULE 13.00 DAILY OVERDUE(1)

Proc

If %ESPSDATE NE %ESPADATE THEN EXIT

EndProc

The IF logic will make sure only today's missed schedules will run.

Hope this helps,

Lucy

• 3.  Re: ESP Scheduling when master is down for days

Posted Sep 16, 2015 08:12 AM

Lucy,

I will try this when my test system comes back up.   May be a few days before I know the results, but your suggestions have always proven successful for me.

Thanks

Sal

• 4.  Re: ESP Scheduling when master is down for days

Community Manager
    Posted Sep 17, 2015 01:28 PM

SAL COSTANZO

Just wanted to check in to see if you've had a chance to try what Lucy suggested -- let us know!

• 5.  Re: ESP Scheduling when master is down for days

Posted Sep 17, 2015 04:40 PM

The above statement seems to work if the ESP master is finally activated before 13:00 x days later because it will then have the effect of skipping the overdue(1) event and let the regularly scheduled event occur at 13:00 that day.  However if the ESP master comes back up after 13:00 x days later then the IF statement would cause the overdue(1) event to be skipped for the current day and there would be no execution until 13:00 the next day which would effectively skip any execution for that day.  I believe there needs to a time of day comparison added to the IF statement.  Am I missing something here?

Michael E. Ellis

Deere & Company

Systems Programmer

• 6.  Re: ESP Scheduling when master is down for days

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 18, 2015 04:00 PM

Hi Michael,

If the missed schedule for that day can be kept by OVERDUE, then the IF logic won't exit, since it's the schedule on the same day.

I do realize that a bigger value should be on OVERDUE, like OVERDUE(10), so that up to 10 missed schedules can be kept. The reason is, it's actually the oldest schedule will be kept with OVERDU(1). I will more next week.

Sal, if you haven't test it, you may hold on a bit.

Lucy

• 7.  Re: ESP Scheduling when master is down for days

Posted Sep 21, 2015 10:03 AM

I had put the changes on the test system, but it hasn't been up to see what the results were.  Will wait to hear of the new suggestion.

Thanks

Sal

• 8.  Re: ESP Scheduling when master is down for days

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 21, 2015 01:34 PM

Hi Sal,

My test confirmed that if OVERDUE(1) is used, the oldest missed schedule will be kept. In your scenario, you want to keep the last one which is on the same day when ESP is started. So OVERDUE(10) should be used, it will keep up to 10 missed schedules.. Note: 10 is the maximum value; and be sure to have PTF RO65895 applied.

And the suggested IF logic will not run the ones that were scheduled on a different date.

Sorry that I overlooked earlier.

Lucy

• 9.  Re: ESP Scheduling when master is down for days

Posted Sep 21, 2015 03:28 PM

Lucy

We have the PTF on, and using your original suggestion, with OVERDUE(1), everything worked today when our system was brought up after the scheduled time the job was supposed to run. The proc ran once, as soon as ESP initialized.  Not sure I am understanding the OVERDUE(10)???

Sal

• 10.  Re: ESP Scheduling when master is down for days

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 22, 2015 01:40 PM

Hi Sal,

Hmmm. Before you bring down ESP, did you issue OPER QUIESCE or OPER CLASS command to hold all events? That may make the difference.

Still I suggest use OVERDUE(10), so that ESP will keep up to 10 missed runs; and with the IF logic, if the missed runs are for a different date than current date, then nothing will be done.

Thank you,

Lucy

• 11.  Re: ESP Scheduling when master is down for days

Posted Sep 23, 2015 10:19 AM

we are not doing either of those commands.

Lucy - when you get some free time, can you call me on this?

Thanks

Sal

• 12.  Re: ESP Scheduling when master is down for days
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 08, 2015 02:11 PM

Update: Sal has tried as suggested and it works well:

SCHEDULE 13.00 DAILY OVERDUE(10)

Proc

EndProc

He didn't code the IF logic for previous occurrence, and it ran for the oldest passed schedule with OVERDUE(1).

Lucy