Gen EDGE

View Only
  • 1.  Is there any other customer interested to migrate from CA GEN generated CICS/COBOL transactions to WebSphere/Java on the mainframe ?

Posted Jul 25, 2014 02:35 AM

Hi,

we are currently running a project to migrate our CA GEN based core business application (25.000 + modules) from a CICS/COBOL basis to a WebSphere/Java basis on the mainframe without impacting the business code. As CA GEN is model based and supports different types of generators there is a good chance to modernize the legacy application whilst utilizing the much cheaper special purpose processors available on z/OS.

We would be happy to share our experience and learn if others do have the same challenges.

• 2.  Re: Is there any other customer interested to migrate from CA GEN generated CICS/COBOL transactions to WebSphere/Java on the mainframe ?

Posted Aug 06, 2014 12:56 AM

Hi Heiko

I work for Department of Transport and Main Roads in Queensland Australia and have a large CA Gen mainframe application which has both CICS/COBOL and Websphere/Java with 3270, Batch and Web UI in Gen.  We have a modernisation project underway which is looking at many options - including the possibility of regeneration to a different target.  I would be very interested in discussing your experience.

• 3.  Re: Is there any other customer interested to migrate from CA GEN generated CICS/COBOL transactions to WebSphere/Java on the mainframe ?

Posted Aug 06, 2014 02:24 AM

Hi Peter,

let’s setup a call on that topic. Unfortunately I’m on vacation the next two weeks therefore the earliest possible timeslot for me is the 2nd or 5th of September.

Would 8:30 CEST (UTC + 2,  16:30 AEST)) be suitable for you ?

Kind Regards

Heiko Rohwer

Senior Director

IT - Architecture, Base &

Development Systems

- - - -

Hapag-Lloyd AG

IT - Architecture, Base & Development Systems

Ballindamm 25

20095 Hamburg

Germany

Phone: +49 40 3001-2007

Fax: +49 40 3001-2942

Heiko.Rohwer@hlag.com <mailto:Heiko.Rohwer@hlag.com>

www.hapag-lloyd.com<http://www.hapag-lloyd.com/>

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dipl.-Ing. Dr.-Ing. E.h. Jürgen Weber,

Vorstand: Rolf Habben Jansen (Vorsitzender), Anthony J. Firmin, Peter Ganz,

Sitz: Hamburg, Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Hamburg HRB 97937.

Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dipl.-Ing.Dr.-Ing. E.h. Jürgen Weber,

Executive Board: Rolf Habben Jansen (CEO), Anthony J. Firmin, Peter Ganz,

Registered Office: Hamburg, Company Register: Amtsgericht Hamburg HRB 97937.

• 4.  Re: Is there any other customer interested to migrate from CA GEN generated CICS/COBOL transactions to WebSphere/Java on the mainframe ?

Posted Aug 08, 2014 12:15 PM

If you have 3270 applications that you want to migrate to a Java based environment, then you might want to take a look at the new Block Mode option for Rapide. This will allow you to generate your existing 3270 procedure steps for a web and/or mobile platform without any changes to the model. More details at http://www.iet.co.uk/rapide/BlockMode.htm.

• 5.  Re: Is there any other customer interested to migrate from CA GEN generated CICS/COBOL transactions to WebSphere/Java on the mainframe ?

Posted Aug 29, 2014 01:30 AM

In our case we talk about modernizing the backend. We currently do have GEN generated COBOL/CICS transactions accessed via the java proxies (TCP/IP direct connect) and we want to migrate them towards JAVA/WebSphere EJB's.

Beside the utilization of the z/OS sprecial purpose processors this will have several advantages:

- gain plattform independence

- increase integration/interfacing capabilities

- enable utilization of 3rd party libraries

- boost perception as state of the art technology (important for newhires)

- enable true local/offline development

• 6.  Re: Is there any other customer interested to migrate from CA GEN generated CICS/COBOL transactions to WebSphere/Java on the mainframe ?

Posted Jan 07, 2015 08:58 PM

Hi Heiko

Would you be able to share any documentation related to how you approached your migration it from Gen perspective.  I would like to try a POC on our side to evaluate the kind of benefits you were mentioning.

Thanks

Raghu Bandiatmakur

• 7.  Re: Is there any other customer interested to migrate from CA GEN generated CICS/COBOL transactions to WebSphere/Java on the mainframe ?

Posted Jan 09, 2015 02:24 AM

Hi Raghu,

yes. Please send me an e-mail  (heiko.rohwer@hlag.com). I can provide a short written statement and/or we can setup a call.

KRgds

Heiko

• 8.  Re: Is there any other customer interested to migrate from CA GEN generated CICS/COBOL transactions to WebSphere/Java on the mainframe ?

Posted Jul 14, 2015 07:40 PM

We have a fully automated migration system -- we can migrate GEN to readable Java in a click.

Please see video vinmovie - YouTube

You can reach me - ram@govansys.com, 608 886 7682