OPS/MVS

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SYSVIEW: Can it export from the syslog to a dataset?

• 1.  SYSVIEW: Can it export from the syslog to a dataset?

Posted Jun 13, 2016 08:21 AM

I'm not sure where I should ask this question.  I'm trying to help CA with a TSS case, and I've been asked to perform a trace and send the results to them.  The results of the trace go to the syslog, and in SDSF or IOF I know how to select the trace records and put them in a dataset that I can then put in an email.  But this client uses SYSVIEW, which my coworker assures me is better than SDSF and even than IOF—which is great, I just don't know how to use it and haven't (so far) been able to find the instructions I need in the SYSVIEW manual.

It should be pretty simple:  Is there a way to export pieces of the syslog to a dataset?  To look at the syslog in a View session, maybe?  One of the guys here says there's a COD command for that, but I don't find COD in the SYSVIEW documentation and the only subcommand the documentation mentions for the syslog is LOCATE.

• 2.  Re: SYSVIEW: Can it export from the syslog to a dataset?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 13, 2016 09:32 AM

One way to accomplish this is with the PRINT command.  Identify the desired starting/ending line numbers, and from the SYSLOG screen issue the following commands:

PRINT OPEN member

PRINT FROM startline TO endline NOHEADER

PRINT CLOSE

Member specified in the 1st PRINT command will contain output from the subsequent command, and will be in your userid.SYSVIEW.COPY dataset (this is the default name I believe).

Additional detail on the PRINT command can be found by issuing HELP PRINT from any SYSVIEW command line.

• 3.  Re: SYSVIEW: Can it export from the syslog to a dataset?

Posted Jun 29, 2016 08:14 PM

That's got it.  Thanks, rosma.