TPX Session Management for z/OS

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Has anyone read SMF type 72 subtype 3 with Vision results, I am new to this product

• 1.  Has anyone read SMF type 72 subtype 3 with Vision results, I am new to this product

Posted Apr 09, 2015 09:56 AM

Has anyone used Vision results to read smf type 72 subtype 3 records, I am looking for some hints on how to read SMF data and get information from a subtype

• 2.  Re: Has anyone read SMF type 72 subtype 3 with Vision results, I am new to this product

Posted Apr 14, 2015 04:00 PM

Anyone able to offer any assistance on this question?

Thank you

David Lawrence wrote:

Has anyone used Vision results to read smf type 72 subtype 3 records, I am looking for some hints on how to read SMF data and get information from a subtype

• 3.  Re: Has anyone read SMF type 72 subtype 3 with Vision results, I am new to this product

Posted Apr 14, 2015 04:06 PM

No reply on my question !

• 4.  Re: Has anyone read SMF type 72 subtype 3 with Vision results, I am new to this product

Posted Apr 15, 2015 09:02 AM

Hi PrimericaDave,  Please let me know which product that you are referring to so that I can engage the right team.   Thanks!

• 5.  Re: Has anyone read SMF type 72 subtype 3 with Vision results, I am new to this product

Posted Apr 15, 2015 09:31 AM

Hi PrimericaDave    Ok, just learned that CA VISION:Results 'is' the product; learn something new everyday.  I'm going to contact the SDM and someone will be helping you soon.

• 6.  Re: Has anyone read SMF type 72 subtype 3 with Vision results, I am new to this product
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 15, 2015 09:54 AM

Hi Dave,

As you know from issue 69839, VISION:Results is capable of reading SMF records
    but it is the user's responsibility to create the copybooks which are very tricky.

VISION:Results does not have any documentation on specifically handling SMF records.

The complexity of handling SMF records is one of the reason we offer VISION:Excel
    as a purchasable add-on to VISION:Results. VISION:Excel handles many SMF record types,
    including 72.

Alternatively, CA Professional Services could be contracted to help you with this project.

Going to the Community to see if any other customer has succeeded in doing this on
    their own is a great idea. I'd sure love to hear about their experience myself.

Kind Regards,
    Toni Hansen
    Principal Support Engineer

• 7.  Re: Has anyone read SMF type 72 subtype 3 with Vision results, I am new to this product

Posted May 05, 2015 09:53 AM

Coding is not an issue just takes time and figuring out how to get past syntax issue like

1 to 4 for binary (BI) data

SMF Fields have

SMF70ONT  8 binary Logical processor online time

• 8.  Re: Has anyone read SMF type 72 subtype 3 with Vision results, I am new to this product

Posted May 05, 2015 09:59 AM

Also working with Vision results to handle the offset into SMF records I need to figure out.

• 9.  Re: Has anyone read SMF type 72 subtype 3 with Vision results, I am new to this product

Posted May 05, 2015 10:42 AM

The solution is to use VISION:Excel which is an add-on feature to VISION:Results which has SMF type 72 predefined.

Kind regards,

Toni Hansen

• 10.  Re: Has anyone read SMF type 72 subtype 3 with Vision results, I am new to this product

Posted May 05, 2015 11:30 AM

I have been in the field for over 25 years, when a customer asks how a product works, looking for examples, the answer is not buy this other product, I don't think telling my manager that the product you were sold will not do what you want would not go over well !

• 11.  Re: Has anyone read SMF type 72 subtype 3 with Vision results, I am new to this product

Posted May 05, 2015 12:12 PM

Hi Dave,

It appears that when your company purchased VISION:Results they also purchased VISION:Excel,

so the combination would have been well suited to this task. 

Reinstating it would appear to match the original intent.

Kind regards,

Toni Hansen

• 12.  Re: Has anyone read SMF type 72 subtype 3 with Vision results, I am new to this product

Posted May 05, 2015 12:21 PM

Toni

You are saying we have the license for Vision Excel ?

If that is true no one told me here I have been here for 5 months

David Lawrence

Systems Programming

Email:  David.Lawrence@primerica.com<mailto:David.Lawrence@primerica.com>

1 Primerica Parkway

Duluth GA 30099

(470) 564-7850

• 13.  Re: Has anyone read SMF type 72 subtype 3 with Vision results, I am new to this product

Posted May 05, 2015 12:29 PM

From what I have access to, it appears you did but it was cancelled.

That is why I suggested having it reinstated.

Kind regards,

Toni Hansen

• 14.  Re: Has anyone read SMF type 72 subtype 3 with Vision results, I am new to this product

Posted May 05, 2015 12:32 PM

Toni thanks for the info but I don’t think they will reinstate it we have other expense like hardware purchases to do.

David Lawrence

Systems Programming

1 Primerica Parkway

Duluth GA 30099

(470) 564-7850

• 15.  Re: Has anyone read SMF type 72 subtype 3 with Vision results, I am new to this product

Posted May 05, 2015 12:39 PM

At least you now have the background and understand why the base product is not well suited to this task.

Kind regards,

Toni Hansen

• 16.  Re: Has anyone read SMF type 72 subtype 3 with Vision results, I am new to this product

Posted May 05, 2015 03:18 PM

Toni thanks but I am sure they won’t pay for the license, like I said we have hardware upgrades coming.

David Lawrence

Systems Programming

1 Primerica Parkway

Duluth GA 30099

(470) 564-7850