Gen EDGE

View Only
  • 1.  DevOps Template - CA Gen, CA Endevor, and Zowe

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 21, 2020 10:13 AM
      |   view attached

Have you ever had to explain to your organization why it is challenging to integrate CA Gen with a standard DevOps tool? If so, we aim to provide templates that show how to integrate CA Gen with other tools. To start, we've written a DevOps paper, based on an internal proof of concept, demonstrating one approach for a CA Gen CICS block-mode application leveraging CA Endevor® and Zowe

It is worth mentioning that DevOps is a very broad topic, so there are many valid variations to any approach. Some of the items covered in this paper will be applicable to other paths. In the spirit of DevOps, feel free to experiment to make it work for you. This is just one of many tools for your DevOps tool belt when working with CA Gen.

Let us know what you think about the contents of the paper.
    Was it helpful? Do you have a different approach? How have you overcome barriers? What other tools would you like to see in a CA Gen DevOps template?

Replies are welcome on this discussion thread, or contact Su Brude at susan.brude@broadcom.com.

------------------------------
    Kim Peelman
    Product Owner, CA Gen
    Broadcom
    Plano,TX

Attachment(s)

• 2.  RE: DevOps Template - CA Gen, CA Endevor, and Zowe

Posted Oct 01, 2020 02:37 AM
    Edited by Tarek Kamal Oct 01, 2020 03:52 AM
    Hi Kim;

I think this Document is a great step form Broadcom to move CA Gen to modern technology
    However, I think it types of the invention of the wheel

GuardIEn is the best tool to implement DevOps for CA Gen before the technology world know the term DevOps

Especially in Z/OS & COBOL platform Without the GuardIEn CA Gen team, lose many benefits of CA GEN & time

My client's success to transfer All CA GEN Applications from target COBOL to CA GEN target Java on windows
    I suffer a lot of issue in generation applications because the encyclopedia still in the host encyclopedia (for security reason)
    However, I think the next step form all vendors & Broadcom should be

How to implement DevOps with CA Gen outside the mainframe
    Please do not look for CA Gen as a mainframe tool only

TArek KAmal

• 3.  RE: DevOps Template - CA Gen, CA Endevor, and Zowe

Posted Oct 01, 2020 03:59 AM
    Hi Tarek,

Regarding your requirement to automate the DevOps generation and build processes from the host encyclopaedia for Java (or any other non-MVS platform), we have recently announced enhancements to GuardIEn and Studio Developer that enables them to work together to automate remote generation from the Host Encyclopaedia.

Please see the posting on the IET Community on Host Encyclopaedia Remote Generation.

Kind Regards,

Darius

Darius Panahy
    Information Engineering Technology Ltd

• 4.  RE: DevOps Template - CA Gen, CA Endevor, and Zowe

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 01, 2020 02:46 PM
    Thanks for the feedback, @Tarek Kamal! I'm glad to hear you've had great success with GuardIEn. They were definitely ahead of the game, enabling DevOps before DevOps was "cool".

I'll be sure to share this feedback with the team as we discuss next steps in showing how CA Gen fits in modern technology stacks. I'm particularly proud that CA Gen meets the needs of both mainframe and non-mainframe users. That makes my life as a PO a little more complicated, but certainly shows the powerful versatility within CA Gen.  

Have a great day!

Kim Peelman
    Product Owner, CA Gen
    Broadcom
    Plano,TX