SYSVIEW Performance Management

View Only
  • 1.  CA-SYSVIEW PTF list

Posted Mar 02, 2021 06:28 AM

Just thought I'd sound out the community before I consider an Ideation....

So as products move to CI / CD delivery models - and in this case CA-SYSVIEW - what we have available is very often determined by the PTF's we have installed and not on the basis of versions and releases. 

So without going to my friendly system programmer how do I know which PTF's and features are available in a given deployment of CA-SYSVIEW ? 

So we have SOFTWARE to see what version I'm on, and also of course FEATURES in terms of installed features. 

How about though a PTF command which lists the active PTF's with a short description as well ? 

Thoughts plz.

• 2.  RE: CA-SYSVIEW PTF list
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 02, 2021 07:54 PM
    Edited by John Barrett Mar 04, 2021 03:42 AM
    Hi John,

SYSVIEW 16.0 has certainly amassed a number of features added on via PTF since it went generally available in June of 2019. I can't say I disagree that it might be hard to figure out which features you have on and which you do not. Yes, a sysprog friend who can query the CSI for you may help, but I think you are looking for something a little more self service.

We can certainly look into your request and hopefully get some feedback from some other SYSVIEW users.

Until then, here is a way that will get you closer to knowing which features you have on, self service, and within SYSVIEW:

• Locate the SYSVIEW load library data set name. The load library is often STEPLIB'ed in the JCL for the started task, so you can find it by switching to the SYSVIEW address space with this command:

ASID <sysview_jobname>

where <sysview_jobname> is the name of your SYSVIEW started task.

Then issue this command:

DSALLOC

On DSALLOC find the STEPLIB DDName and look for the SYSVIEW load library in the DatasetName column. Once you have found it, copy it.
    • Next issue this command:

LISTDIR sysview_steplib_data_set_name MODID

where sysview_steplib_data_set_name is the data set name you copied in the previous step.

This command will scan the SYSVIEW load library and return module fix levels (PTF numbers) for each found module.

• The last step is to produce a report of the fix levels (PTF numbers). This can be done by issuing this command from the LISTDIR command:

UNIQFLDS FIXLEVEL

A report similar to this will be created:

The report indicates which PTFs were found to be present on modules in the load library. If a PTF appears in the report list, it means you have it applied and are currently running with it.

You can take the output of the report and compare it to the "New Features" page on the SYSVIEW space in the Broadcom TechDocs Portal. Here is a link to the SYSVIEW 16.0 new features page:

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-mainframe-software/performance-and-storage/ca-sysview-performance-management/16-0/release-notes/new-features.html

The above link lists all current feature PTFs in detail by PTF number:

I should note while this method will be mostly accurate, but it is not 100% fool proof. It is only scanning the load library. A PTF may have only updated other library types aside from the load library (this is very rare). Also, a PTF may have updated the same module that another PTF updated, so that module will only appear with the highest fix level, making it appear you may have one PTF on, but not another (again rare this would be an issue since our feature PTFs tend to update quite a few modules).

Hope this helps you out. Let me know if you have any questions.

Look forward to other feedback on this topic.

------------------------------
    Jason Brosius
    CA SYSVIEW Software Engineer
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: CA-SYSVIEW PTF list

Posted Mar 03, 2021 03:41 AM
    Chaps - thanks for your replies. Let me have a look at this. I may come back to you. ​

• 4.  RE: CA-SYSVIEW PTF list

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 03, 2021 02:36 AM

Hi John,

Besides the procedure explained by Jason, there is also the LISTMODS commands that shows the FIXLEVEL column with the latest ptfs installed on the CA Sysview modules.

See this knowledge document for detailed instructions and information.. 
              https://ca-broadcomcsm.wolkenservicedesk.com/wolken/esd/knowledgebase_search?articleId=11706
    When you are at the screen do a SORT FIXLEVEL D command and you get latest ptfs at the top.

Best regards

Hennie Hermans

Principal Support Engineer
    CA Technologies, A Broadcom Company