Db2 Tools

View Only
  • 1.  Create unconditional Action JCL collectively for object partitions

Posted Aug 26, 2015 04:35 AM

Hello,

I have an Extract Procedure which auto selects objects per database (wildcarding possible) with an unconditional Action Procedure tied to it to create image copy JCL for instance. This way I would get 10 matching JCL members for a table space with 10 partitions in case I omit the PART parameter.

Is it possible to create this Action JCL for all partitions collectively for one object without specifiying a condition?

Thanks and regards,

Christine Eggermann

• 2.  Re: Create unconditional Action JCL collectively for object partitions
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 26, 2015 06:58 AM

Hello Christine,

The process for unconditional actions is to select each object, therefore each partition of the tablespace and index and also any nonpartitioned index.

You would have to use a (TSP)/(IXP) condition to process the partitions collectively, but you could select a condition that would always trigger e.g.

(TSP) Total number of pages allocated => 0

You may be able to customize your image copy model to ignore partitions > 1 to achieve this too

e.g. add following type test to your model

#IF(%PART,EQ,1)

.... model content here

#ELSE

#ENDIF

This may be problematic as ibm action codes will pick up the step jcl model for each object that is processed.

Regards,

Steve

• 3.  Re: Create unconditional Action JCL collectively for object partitions

Posted Aug 26, 2015 09:30 AM

Hi Steve,

Actually, I already tried The "(TSP) Total number of pages allocated => 0" condition. I was still hoping that there might be another way, though.

Thank you for the confirmation and the examples, anyway.

Best regards,

Christine

• 4.  Re: Create unconditional Action JCL collectively for object partitions

Posted Sep 01, 2015 04:35 AM

Hi Christine,
    You could create an idea for this so that it can be reviewed for potential to add in the future.

Creating an unconditional Action procedure to process partitions collectively rather than have to specify a dummy (TSP) condition to trigger this, would make a good idea.

How would you like to see this implemented? - Perhaps via  parm to select (TS) or (TSP) as the default process option for unconditional actions.

We would also need to know the benefit beyond not having to select a condition that would always be true and how this impacts your business? This helps in understanding the need and usefulness of the feature.
    Regards,
    Steve

• 5.  Re: Create unconditional Action JCL collectively for object partitions

Posted Sep 03, 2015 09:25 AM

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm reconsidering it.

Regards,

Christine

• 6.  Re: Create unconditional Action JCL collectively for object partitions

Posted Sep 04, 2015 08:23 AM

Christine, if you could provide an example HOW you would like to see the JCL generated, I will be more than happy to give it a shot.

thanks /Steen

• 7.  Re: Create unconditional Action JCL collectively for object partitions

Posted Sep 11, 2015 07:43 AM

• 8.  Re: Create unconditional Action JCL collectively for object partitions

Posted Sep 13, 2015 06:57 AM

Christine - you can do what I believe you want to accomplish. I assume you have used RTS conditions to select which partitions you want to create ACTIONS for (like REORG or COPY) and now you don't want to have the actions done on teh TABLESPACE level as oppsoed to the partition level. This is pretty straight forward - just tie an ACTION PROC using this condition and you are good to go. In case you need additional information, you can contact me here or offline:

_ (TSP) Total extents                      S |  

• 9.  Re: Create unconditional Action JCL collectively for object partitions

Posted Sep 19, 2015 12:13 AM

Christine - thank you for the clarification. You don't need PDA STATS to propagate actions to teh tablespace level from the partition level. This can be placed in a CONDITIONAL ACTION CONDITION - but basically it will act as an UNCONDITIONAL condition:

s (TSP) RTS DSNACCOR too many extents       | >    0

best regards Steen Rasmussen