MICS

View Only
  • 1.  I am working with MICS for VM/CMS and need assistance handling a specific VM/MONITOR record out of Velocity.

Posted Jan 27, 2015 10:30 AM

I am using MICS to report on CPU utilization of certain LINUX processes. These processes are generated by a parent process and the only way to identify is thru the CMD line data. Since only 10 bytes or so are captured and sent to MICS there is no easy way to do reporting in the past without knowing the process number during that period. Velocity has provided a method to assign APPNAMEs to a process based on CMD line data and pass it to MICS thru a C8 (Domain C record 8) monitor record. The problem is that MICS does not process these records and only counts them. I need to develop an EXIT or something to capture that APPNAME that I have assigned and store it in the LNXLXP record.

• 2.  Re: I am working with MICS for VM/CMS and need assistance handling a specific VM/MONITOR record out of Velocity.

Posted Jan 29, 2015 11:10 AM

As was mentioned, the MICS VMC component input routine in sp.SOURCE(VMCLINXI) does not have SAS code to read up the DOMAIN C RECORD 8 (LINUX APPLICATION DATA) data source; at best, only the count of those input records is provided in the DAY080 MICSLOG.  My interpretation here is that there will be a challenge with adding VMCLINXI SAS code to input / decode the RECORD 8 data, possibly (not confirmed) to build/maintain a SAS HASH table (in memory) -- not sure which record will come first though, so better to keep the processing separate, in my experience.  So.....

Since you prefer having the MICS LNXLXP DETAIL file contain some additional identification instead of an alternative to post-processing at reporting time, I recommend you pre-process the zVM MONITOR input dataset(s) with a MICS/SAS JCL PROC and create / maintain a SAS format that maps the desired attributes.  Then your sp.PARMS(LNXACRT) exit routine or USRSLXP (output exit -- occurs just after LNXACRT anyway) can populate whatever MICS/SAS variables needed.

Scott Barry

SBBWorks, Inc.

• 3.  Re: I am working with MICS for VM/CMS and need assistance handling a specific VM/MONITOR record out of Velocity.

Posted Jan 30, 2015 10:09 AM

Thank you Scott for the response.

Taking this one step further….  It appears that processing for LNXLXP records is derived from the Domain C record 9  only and is written to MICS (fields like UID,  process id, CPU, ) …… In looking at the format of the Monitor records I am unable to equate which domain C record 8 could be associated with which record 9  so I am not sure how I slam the APPNAME (I assigned in Velocity ZTCP) from the record 8 into record 9 so MICS would have the info. In fact looking at the Domain C record8 layout there is not any common identifiable data which could be used to match a record 8 to record 9 (like PID) and the transfer of the usable data could occur.

Any ideas?

Jim Therrian

Systems Services

313-22-56778

• 4.  Re: I am working with MICS for VM/CMS and need assistance handling a specific VM/MONITOR record out of Velocity.
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 30, 2015 10:21 AM

Best suggestion I can provide is to contact VELOCITY SOFTWARE tech support directly and likely they have heard this type of question before.  Unfortunately, I don't have ready-access to the data-source format for the DOMAIN C RECORD 8 layout.

Scott Barry

SBBWorks, Inc.

• 5.  Re: I am working with MICS for VM/CMS and need assistance handling a specific VM/MONITOR record out of Velocity.

Posted Jan 30, 2015 10:22 AM

Thanks Scott…..

Jim Therrian

Systems Services

313-22-56778