MICS

View Only
  • 1.  looking for intelligent MICS Backup facility

Posted May 20, 2014 12:11 PM

The current MICS system performs a blind-copy (all SAS files/members in all time-spans) with each  BACKUP operation, regardless of whether or not any of the higher time-span files has changed since the last BACKUP.  Last year, I opened an enhancement request asking to help by developing a more 'intelligent' backup operation for MICS, where there would be a periodic FULL backup performed while also only performing an if-needed/changed DELTA backup process.

Currently, very large MICS unit database BACKUPs can take up to 5+ hours, where the only files changes are DETAIL, DAYS and "00" cycles of the higher time-spans WEEKS/MONTHS.

The alternative with using another backup utility (DFDSS, FDR, etc.) is not unreasonable because of the improved elapsed time (and it is not SAS-dependent), then the RESTORE process (seldom needed, but a possibility) becomes more cumbersome.

So my interest with this post is to encourage other large MICS client sites to also make it be known that CA MICS would benefit from a more intelligent BACKUP facility, where a combination of FULL / DELTA backup/restore awareness would help improve the MICS daily operation.  If you have such interest, contact CA MICS Support, open an enhancement request, and mention this post, if you so choose.

Regards,

Scott Barry
    SBBWorks, Inc.

• 2.  Re: looking for intelligent MICS Backup facility

Posted Jul 07, 2015 11:55 AM

Better even, I have created a CA MICS IDEA for organizing CA MICS client / admin interest with a more intelligent BACKUP / RESTORE process - one that minimizes CPU/batch/TAPE resources with the daily BACKUP operational processing (i.e., only DETAIL, DAYS, and "00" higher time-span cycles are backed-up).  Obviously the RESTORE process would need to be aware of the backup "pieces" when (more like if ever) one needs to actually perform a MICS Database RESTORE.

Of course, DFDSS / FDR dataset COPY options exist -- just ensure that you have actually tested whatever is composed as your equivalent-RESTORE process to ensure it works and is well documented for all to reference.

Go here to VOTE-UP the IDEA so that CA gets the message:

21109488 - BACKUP - Add FULL/DELTA Option

Scott Barry

SBBWorks, Inc.