Datacom

View Only
  • 1.  Table and key layouts for Oracle DBAs discussions

Posted Mar 02, 2020 11:15 AM
    I and a couple others have been tasked with providing the data and key information listed, per the wording of the original request from my Oracle DBA counterparts:

I have been told that we will eventually be migrating to a non-mainframe, therefore non-DATACOM and non-COBOL application suite, and I need to provide the following.

What direction should I pursue to provide what is being requested?

Thank you.

• What we have in terms of DDL and data model (PDM) to represent the same in terms of PK and indexes
    • Business glossary or any data dictionary for our application that includes over 700 tables.

• 2.  RE: Table and key layouts for Oracle DBAs discussions
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 02, 2020 02:38 PM

Hi Steve,

If all your CA Datacom tables have been enabled for SQL access then you can use DDTRSLM to export all the table definitions, and then extract the DDL (including Key definitions) from that file.

You can generate all the EXPORT TABLE commands for input to DDTRSLM using the following DBSQLPR query...

SELECT 'EXPORT TABLE ' || TRIM(SQL_AUTHID) || '.' || TRIM(TABLE_SQLNAME) || ' ONLY ALL TABLE;'

FROM SYSADM.DIR_TABLE
     WHERE DBID BETWEEN 21 AND 999
       AND TABLE_SQLNAME > ' '

For the resulting output file from DDTRSLM, the DDL for each table/key is between the %DDLSTART and %DDLEND cards.

Unless your organisation has already imported the structures for your infobase into a data modelling tool (such as CA Erwin) there is no PDM within the Datacom toolset.

Many (most?) Datacom sites have not implemented referential integrity constraints for many of their tables, so that table-to-table relationship information is typically absent.

The DDTRSLM output does also include most of the Data Dictionary attributes (such as DESCRIPTION and default column headings that you may have populated) that do not form part of the DDL syntax.

Cheers,

Owen

------------------------------
    Technical Consultant
    Redcentric PLC
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Table and key layouts for Oracle DBAs discussions

Posted Mar 03, 2020 08:04 AM
    Thank you, Owen.  This looks like it will give me what I need, at least for an initial pass.

Steve​