IDMS

View Only
  • 1.  Large Unload Reload 26 hours best approach sugestions

Posted Jan 31, 2020 11:10 AM
    ​If anyone has experience in large unload reloads and techniques to reduce time  please share.   Has anyone used tools to do unload to copy of production and then roll forward missed transactions.   Has anyone had good experiences with the re-org utility and parallel processing.   I've split and merged sort files with some improvement does anyone know other tricks.

------------------------------
    Harry Saxman

• 2.  RE: Large Unload Reload 26 hours best approach sugestions

Posted Jan 31, 2020 03:07 PM

Hello Harry,

As an old timer running unload/loads, I've heard that one should take a look at running the REORG Utility instead.

I see some good doc has recently been added to Support.broadcom.com in ref to REORG Utility:

https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-mainframe-software/database-management/ca-idms/19-0/using/using-idms-db-reorg/understand-ca-idms-db-reorg-processing/ca-idms-db-reorg-record-allocation-techniques.html

BETTER Yet, try to join us this April at our IUA/Broadcom Conference and talk with some of the developers and perhaps other users that have some techniques to share.

Regards,

Joseph Perkins (Contractor)

IUA Board

Sr. Database Administrator, Systems Made Simple Inc.

Service Operations – Infrastructure Operations

Office of Information and Technology, IT Operations and Services

Office: (530) 260-0165 

GFE Mobile  (510) 599-6133

• 3.  RE: Large Unload Reload 26 hours best approach sugestions

Posted Feb 03, 2020 08:28 AM
    Harry,

I have used REORG extensively. The only caveat is that you'd need lots of disk space for the temporary files it creates. REORG has a estimate space parameter with which you can run a mock unload and it that'd tell you how much space would be needed. In your unload JCL you can determine the number of jobs by the number of slices and that should cut in the run time. Please be aware that the number of jobs submitted/files created is dependent on the number of slices your JCL has.

Sue

• 4.  RE: Large Unload Reload 26 hours best approach sugestions

Posted Feb 03, 2020 10:00 AM

In the past, I used a tool called DB EZ-REORG, it was originally distributed by TACT, I believe it is now with Syncsort under the name EZ-IDMS.​

It allows you to run unload/reload on a copy of the database while the original database is live.  After the unload/reload is completed the journals from the live database are rolled forward on the copy.  This can be done incrementally.   The live database needs to be taken off-line for the switch, then the last journal is rolled forward, and the database files renamed.  The file that contains the old and new DBKeys is kept for the purpose of remapping the DBKeys for the roll forward.

Tommy Petersen