IDMS

View Only
  • 1.  What is an IDMS ADSA Application Structure?

Posted Sep 08, 2020 10:34 AM

How do I know if I have ADSA Application Structures defined in my system? I see some doc about how to create one but if I don't know the names then how do I work with an existing one?

Here is the doc on creating -> https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/ca-mainframe-software/database-management/ca-idms/19-0/using/using-ca-ads/using-ads-for-idms/defining-an-application-structure-using-adsa.html

Paul

• 2.  RE: What is an IDMS ADSA Application Structure?

Posted Sep 08, 2020 11:47 AM

Hello Paul,

ADSA Structures are represented by SYS-041 Dictionary Records i.e. one can point IDD Task to application dictionary and issue ' DISPLAY ALL SYSTEM.' To get  a list of any applications present.

The ADSA Compiler, represented by the task code ADSA, is used to maintain the structure.

Regards,

Joseph Perkins (Contractor)

Sr. CA-IDMS Database Administrator, All in Solutions LLC

Service Operations – Infrastructure Operations, Veterans Affairs

Office of Information and Technology, IT Operations and Services

Office: (530) 260-0165 

GFE Mobile  (510) 599-6133

• 3.  RE: What is an IDMS ADSA Application Structure?

Posted Sep 08, 2020 12:41 PM
    Interesting. DIS ALL SYSTEM under my application dictionary in IDD lists 2: NAS1 and AGT1 (both VERSION 1). When I enter ADSA and give it one of these the names, it returns saying "DC450114 Module NAS1 version 1 is not an ADSA application". I bet our developers (35 years ago) created the name and didn't go any farther with them.

Does it make sense that I have a bunch of ADSO programs/dialogs, modules, maps, ... but don't have ADSA-defined structures? Are ADSA structures just a convenience, or documentation?

-Paul

• 4.  RE: What is an IDMS ADSA Application Structure?

Posted Sep 08, 2020 01:32 PM
    At most site the ADSO applications start with an "A" or even an "AP".  

So looking in IDD you may want to do a DISPLAY ALL PROG WHE NAME MATCHES 'A'.  or 'AP'.  

if not,

You can do a DCMT Display TASK.

And look for tasks linked to program ADSORUN1.  You can skip the ones that start with ADS or ASF.

Then you may be able to execute the 4 letter task and get to the application. 

If you can get into the application you may see names that matches some of the dialog/map names you are seeing as being defined.

• 5.  RE: What is an IDMS ADSA Application Structure?

Posted Sep 08, 2020 02:24 PM

Paul,

There also exists a TAT (Task Application Table) Load Module named $ACF@TAT. An entry is created in this table by utility program ADSOTATU. Every DC Task Code that invokes an ADSA Application must have an entry in this table.

ADSA Applications were created to manage the flow of control between ADS Dialogs; mainly to promote XCTLs as opposed to LINKs and so, to minimize the number of LINK LEVELS when executing Dialogs.

Regards,

Joseph Perkins (Contractor)

Sr. CA-IDMS Database Administrator, All in Solutions LLC

Service Operations – Infrastructure Operations, Veterans Affairs

Office of Information and Technology, IT Operations and Services

Office: (530) 260-0165 

GFE Mobile  (510) 599-6133

• 6.  RE: What is an IDMS ADSA Application Structure?

Posted Sep 09, 2020 04:17 AM
    Hi Paul,

With regard to the TAT, this utility may be useful for you.
    It was posted in 2011 but is probably a lot older than that. I haven't tried it for years but it should still be useful.

(Warning: this long link may split  across lines.)
    https://community.broadcom.com/mainframesoftware/viewdocument/?DocumentKey=be7a98ca-5a7f-4b9c-81d7-192b0c0dfcc5&CommunityKey=b1472505-bd98-47a6-aed7-a494d48fc3ab&tab=librarydocuments

Steve

Steve Rundle
    Lead IDMS DBA @ BT
    GTS, Infrastructure Services
    +44 7768 400019  Mobile
    +44 331 664 2077 Office
    steve.rundle@ibm.com

IBM

• 7.  RE: What is an IDMS ADSA Application Structure?

Posted Sep 09, 2020 09:49 AM

Thanks everybody. Lots of good clues to move me along. I think I have found an ideal approach to finding all my ADSA Applications: LOOK PROGRAM=$ACF@TAT. This will be like a memory dump, but I can clearly see the application-to-task code mapping. I do recognize my application task codes such as AGT1. In the results of the LOOK, I see AGT1    AGT1A. With that, I can enter ADSA and use the AGC1A name to get at the ADSA App Structure definition.

It sure would be nice if the ADSA screen would have a 'List' command.

• 8.  RE: What is an IDMS ADSA Application Structure?

Posted Sep 10, 2020 08:31 AM

Hi Paul
    ADSA is just a way to group dialogs into an application with responses etc.  It adds some nice feature in that you can jump from a dialog directly to a new response where you do not get a new level in the call tree but start from the top again.

i worked in one place where we did not have any ADS/A applications.  They had developed their own, really cool, menu system which build the menus based on what the users had access to.  The menus were kept in queues, and when a user's privileges were changed their menu queue would be deleted and it would be rebuilt on the next signon.

The bottom line is that you do not need ADS/A, it can just me a main-line dialog calling other dialogs or programs.

------------------------------
    Tommy Petersen

• 9.  RE: What is an IDMS ADSA Application Structure?

Posted Sep 09, 2020 03:35 PM
    A hack that I use to find application names is to run the ADSORPTS utility using APPLICATIONS=ALL and whatever other parms you want.

I was intrigued by the SYS-041 information. I did find sites that have ADS applications but not all the applications show up in DIS ALL SYSTEM. But some of our applications are from the 1980's, so maybe they haven't yet evolved.

DBA
    DXC Technology