IDMS

View Only
  • 1.  IDMS 18.5 - Loading Maps - warning 397027

Posted Oct 12, 2016 03:25 PM

I am getting this message on several PFLDs when loading maps in batch. I didn't create the maps, I'm just moving them from one environment to another.

379027    W             PFLD OLMPF-0048  OVERLAPS PREVIOUS FIELD FOR MAP

Should I be concerned about this message? Since I don't know IDMS Maps and Panels I am not sure how to see what the overlap is - I don't even know how to display the map/panel on screen.

Anyone now if that 379027 is a warning code? I can't find it anywhere.

-paul

• 2.  Re: IDMS 18.5 - Loading Maps - warning 397027

Posted Oct 12, 2016 03:41 PM

That "W" after the message code indicates it is a warning.

You most likely do not need to be concerned.  The user will not be able to see the entire field on the screen as a new filed starts before the other field would normally end.  In my opinion it is bad coding technique to use fields that are longer than what is displayed.

• 3.  Re: IDMS 18.5 - Loading Maps - warning 397027

Posted Oct 12, 2016 04:21 PM

Paul,

In a 3270 environment, maps are “painted” using terminal based commands and data.

So, what you get is, basically, a set-buffer-address, data and an end of field action code.

So, for any data field on the map you will get a “field” that is length of the data plus 2, bytes.

Now, given that your data stream is processed sequentially, you can get a set buffer address, followed by data, followed by an end of field code byte.

This means that, as the buffer is processed, one field can end up overlapping another field.

IDMS has the ability to tell you that this is happening, or going to happen.

That’s what you’re being told.

A way to see what this looks like is to issue the showmap task code naming the map.

Let’s say the map name is xyz.

At “Enter Next Task Code”, type SHOWMAP XYZ and then press the Enter key.

This will load, and hopefully, show you the map. There won’t be any live data, just the constants in the map.

I hope this helps a bit to figure out what’s going on.

Chuck

Charles (Chuck) Hardee<mailto:Chuck.Hardee@ThermoFisher.com>

Senior Systems Engineer/Database Administration

EAS Information Technology<mailto:DBA%20Engineering%20-%20DB2_IDMS>

Thermo Fisher Scientific

300 Industry Drive | Pittsburgh, PA 15275

Phone +1 (724) 517-2633 | Mobile +1 (412) 877-2809 | FAX: +1 (412) 490-9230

Chuck.Hardee@ThermoFisher.com<mailto:Chuck.Hardee@ThermoFisher.com>  | www.thermofisher.com

WORLDWIDE CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient, or an employee or agent of a system responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender and delete all copies.

• 4.  Re: IDMS 18.5 - Loading Maps - warning 397027

Posted Oct 12, 2016 04:23 PM

This will not help anything ... I think you already have the answer you need ... but just for information ... I have seen this happen when the map records in the source and target environments are different and there are different element lengths ... something that might be worth watching out for.

Cheers - Gary

• 5.  Re: IDMS 18.5 - Loading Maps - warning 397027

Posted Oct 13, 2016 10:49 AM

Thanks folks. This helped me dig further and I am able to see the layout of the panel/map. I am not positive that these are harmless but I will assume they are - especially since I was testing my extract/Upload process by extracting and uploading back into the same CV.

I am not sure why, but when I tab from one Unprotected field to the next (in the SHOWMAP) the cursor positions itself 1 byte to the right of the PFLD definition. PFLD might be 1,12 but the cursor goes to 1,13.

-paul

• 6.  Re: IDMS 18.5 - Loading Maps - warning 397027

Posted Oct 13, 2016 11:00 AM

The reason for that is that every field on a 3270 map is preceded by an attribute byte. This attribute byte tells the 3270 “device” how to display the data that follows. Things like protected or unprotected, bright, normal or hidden, etc. There is also an attribute byte following the field that tells the “device” what to do when the cursor reaches the end byte. Things like auto skip, lock the keyboard, etc.

I used “device” because if you’re running on a laptop or desktop computer, you aren’t really a 3270 device, but you’re using a 3270 device emulator. The emulators, if they’ve been written correctly, look, act and feel like a real physical 3270 device to the mainframe code that thinks it’s sending data to a 3270 terminal.

C-

Charles (Chuck) Hardee<mailto:Chuck.Hardee@ThermoFisher.com>

Senior Systems Engineer/Database Administration

EAS Information Technology<mailto:DBA%20Engineering%20-%20DB2_IDMS>

Thermo Fisher Scientific

300 Industry Drive | Pittsburgh, PA 15275

Phone +1 (724) 517-2633 | Mobile +1 (412) 877-2809 | FAX: +1 (412) 490-9230

Chuck.Hardee@ThermoFisher.com<mailto:Chuck.Hardee@ThermoFisher.com>  | www.thermofisher.com

WORLDWIDE CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient, or an employee or agent of a system responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender and delete all copies.

• 7.  Re: IDMS 18.5 - Loading Maps - warning 397027

Posted Oct 13, 2016 11:57 AM

Aha. So the REPORT option shows the attribute byte(s) where they actually are and the cursor will go to the right of the attribute byte. Maybe it is not possible to have 2 fields butted up against each other if there are attribute bytes. (And my cursor, then, appears just above the '-' when the map loads.) Map Report snippet

• 8.  Re: IDMS 18.5 - Loading Maps - warning 397027

Posted Oct 13, 2016 12:17 PM

Correct!

The best you can do, using IDMS MAPC, is to have two fields adjacent to each other but you will have issues defining the terminating control byte. This is the byte where the auto skip, etc attributes would go. So, two field, A and B:

(Start Field Attribute byte)Field A