ESP Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Has anyone ever tracked the time CA7 triggers the next job and seen latency of 10 seconds or more?

• 1.  Has anyone ever tracked the time CA7 triggers the next job and seen latency of 10 seconds or more?

Posted Feb 05, 2016 04:46 PM

I have a special user that has observed a delay in triggering his jobs sometimes up to 10 seconds, and it has at times caused the application to miss their SLA commitment of completing their reports on time.  I have used CA7 far longer than I want to admit but I have never bothered to validate the triggering timeframe up to the second, rather I have tracked the whole

workflow to ensure it meets the OLA or SLA for that perticular business need.

BTW - this user thinks it should be milasecond triggering event.  This CA7 instance is set up on one machine (where this workflow exists) that goes directly to the internal reader, and also has a submit dataset that will pass jobs to another LPAR that is set up under a differnt time.

Any thoughts?

• 2.  Re: Has anyone ever tracked the time CA7 triggers the next job and seen latency of 10 seconds or more?
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 08, 2016 09:55 AM

I am being told that there is another scheduler tool that provides sub-second triggering. I think that CA7 can do that, but have not been able to provide the documentation.  Does anyone know of a report that would show the trigger timing of a job, to determine it is NOT CA7 but instead some environmental issues that is taking the stop of one job and the start of another into multiple seconds, sometimes up to 15 seconds before the next job starts.

Thank you,

Phon

• 3.  Re: Has anyone ever tracked the time CA7 triggers the next job and seen latency of 10 seconds or more?

Posted Feb 08, 2016 10:10 AM

I remember one.  It is one of the Graphj reports.

• 4.  Re: Has anyone ever tracked the time CA7 triggers the next job and seen latency of 10 seconds or more?

Posted Feb 08, 2016 10:39 AM

Phon,

Is the ICOM that should pick up the triggering element on a machine that does not run much CA 7 work?  If so, there can be a delay.  From the CA 7 System Programmer Guide discussion of the OPTIONS statement in the initialization file:

CMGRDELAY

Prompts to allow modify of the interval between CA Workload Automation SE reads of the communications data set. If this keyword is not specified, the interval is 10 seconds.

Important! This keyword should only be used in consultation with CA Support. Inappropriate use of this option could have an adverse impact on CA Workload Automation SE performance.

NO

CA Workload Automation SE wakes up every 10 seconds to read the communications data set. This is the default.

YES

CA Workload Automation SE issues a message requesting confirmation of the interval between reads of the communications data set:

CA-7.IOPT - SHOULD CA-7 READ COMMDS EVERY FIVE SECONDS? REPLY TO CONFIRM (YES/NO)

Reply YES to confirm the interval. A reply of NO indicates that the duration of the interval will default to 10 seconds.

So you can add CMGRDELAY=Y to the CA 7 that is seeing the delay in posting data sets.