VM

View Only
  • 1.  2 Dynam't Mstr Catalogs...1 RMS Mstr catalog

Posted Jun 06, 2016 05:44 PM

We are closing an actual data center and creating a VM Virtual guest in its place on our primary data center mainframe. My question is.. the primary data center mainframe will have 2 VM guest z/VSE systems, both using Dynam'T.  Is there a possible issue sharing z/VM's RMS Master catalog with 2 separate Dynam'T master catalogs? 

• 2.  Re: 2 Dynam't Mstr Catalogs...1 RMS Mstr catalog

Posted Jun 06, 2016 06:02 PM

Hi Nmat,

It is not clear to me if you plan to have 2 Dynam/T VM servers. If you have to have 2 separate VSE Dynam/T catalogs, 1 Dynam/T VM server cannot share 2 different Dynam/T VSE catalogs.

In either case, Dynam/T VM (one or more servers) communicate to RMSMASTR to access the tape drives and the database in the ATL/VTL. So this should not be a problem.

However, unless you can specifically allocate a separate range of real tape addresses to each Dynam/T VM server (if you have multiple Dynam/T VM servers), sharing the tape drives will likely be problematic. The other option would be to implement MIM/MIA for VM to manage seamless sharing of tape drives among all of your servers and LPARs.

• 3.  Re: 2 Dynam't Mstr Catalogs...1 RMS Mstr catalog

Posted Jun 08, 2016 03:33 PM

Yes, that will be the case..the data center that is closing has it's own Dynam/T VM server, Dynam/T master catalog as well as a specific set of real tape addresses to be used only for this Dynam/T. When we migrate this 'closed' data as a guest VM on our mainframe it will be joined with our 'Primary' guest VM that has a similar Dynam/T environment.So it will be 2 separate and unique Dynam/t environments sharing RMSMASTER. There will be no sharing of tape drives. It looks good on paper,,, we never had to  shared the RMSMASTER before...

• 4.  Re: 2 Dynam't Mstr Catalogs...1 RMS Mstr catalog
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 08, 2016 03:40 PM

Nmat,

As mentioned above, as you state your future configuration, sharing the ATL/VTL through RMSMASTR (it sounds like in your case multiple RMSMASTR servers) should not be a problem.

However, I would recommend separate, distinct RMS Scratch Categories for each system sharing the ATL/VTL.