View/Deliver

View Only
  • 1.  How to set up Tape archival for a a new SARSTC

Posted Sep 08, 2015 08:37 AM

Hello all,

I recently setup a new SARSTC for a customer, the database is almost full, I think I need to setup Tape archival of outputs. I have been reading the CA View Reference Guide but not sure exactly which part contains the information I need.

The customer does not want the tapes to roll off as they want to keep all outputs forever if possible.

Can anyone advise on how to setup archiving to SARTAPE?

I appreciate your time!

Thank you!!

Ray

• 2.  Re: How to set up Tape archival for a a new SARSTC
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 08, 2015 11:32 AM

Hello Ray,

The CA View backup cycle is triggered by the CA View SARINIT initialization parameters, DAYS=xxxxxxx and TIME=hhmm.  The "unit1 and unit2" sub-parameters in the STORGRP0 initialization parameter control whether a primary and or duplex tape are created.

STORGRP0=storage-group-name/tape-index/maxgent-value/unit1-name,unit2-name/tvser1,tvser2

Filling in "unit1" with he esoteroic value for the tape device to be used for creating a primary backup tape.  The "unit2" field should be filled in with the esoteric name for the tape device to be used when creating the duplex tape.

CA View does not have a setting in the ERO table or Initialization parameters to keep a sysout forver. 

ERO Table setting:
      The ERO table must be defined and referenced in the SARSTC task in order to use this method.   We can use the ERO copies 

parameter, e.g. COPIES=32767, which will keep at least 32767 copies of each  sysout on tape indefinetely, together with

RETPD=32767 which would assure you that 32767 copies would   be kept forever and the remaining ones at least 32767days

each one.

When the you define: 
      REPORTNAME*   ALL  DCOPIES=xx DRETPD=xx COPIES=32767 RETPD=32767

and there is a backup every day of the week, this would mean the oldest copy will be kept about 90 years,  which is nearly

forever.

Other ERO OPTION to consider:

IRETPD=nnnnn
      Specifies the number of days (0 to 32767) that any page indexes defined for the reports are retained on disk.

LRETPD=nnnnn
      Specifies the number of days (0 to 32767) since the report was last accessed, before it is deleted from primary  disk.

REGDAYS=nnnnn
      Controls the number of days that a report cannot be deleted in CA View. When the parameter is used in the ERO table,

matching reports are flagged as non-deletable until a calculated REGDAYS date has been reached.  (Valid values are 0 to

32767).

Note:
      The REGDAYS date is calculated by adding REGDAYS to the report ARCHIVE date.  After a REGDAYS date is 
       assigned to a report, it can only be extended and never shortened through changes in the ERO table.

Initialization Parameter NGENT setting:
    The SARINIT job must be run to set the NGENT parameter and store the value in the database.  The NGENT=32767 will keep

32767 generations of each sysout to be kept on tape.  If a backup is run daily,   there will be 90 year of each sysout kept. 

Regards,
    Cheryl Stimpfl
    Principal Support Engineer
    CA Technologies Technical Support
    Tel:  +1-609-583-9671 Option 1
    Cheryl.Stimpfl@ca.com

• 3.  Re: How to set up Tape archival for a a new SARSTC

Posted Sep 09, 2015 04:41 AM

Hello Cheryl,

Thank you once again for your great support and help with this, it is a great help to have you point me in a clear direction as the manual contains so much information.

I have read your advise and ,managed to get the back to kind of work. In my SARPATAB Dataset I have defined these parameters:

/* ALL RETPD=32767 DRETPD=7 DCOPIES=0 XCOND=YES DELETE

I reset the time of the backup to test and it seemed to have done it, but all of the reports remain on disk still. CCan I ask you to revie my above parameters? I would have thought these would meant 32767 days on Tape, 7 days on Disk and no copies to be left on disk once moved from disk, does this sound right?

Thank you again for all your great support, I appreciate it!

Ray

• 4.  Re: How to set up Tape archival for a a new SARSTC

Posted Sep 09, 2015 05:31 AM

Hi Cheryly,

I think I figured it out, EROOPTS was not set to yes, once I did that it all kicked in and seemed to work as desired

Thank you again for everything!

Ray

• 5.  Re: How to set up Tape archival for a a new SARSTC

Posted Sep 11, 2015 11:18 AM

In addition, as an extra layer of protection, the EXPDT= init parm can be set to 99365 to keep backup tapes permanently.  Then, even if a report is deleted from the database, it should still be on a backup tape even if the backup tape has been uncataloged.  This may result in retaining many backup tapes, but it would be an extra layer of protection.

Mark