Endevor

View Only
  • 1.  Exit 7 COBOL call to REXX won't work in Batch

Posted May 19, 2015 09:14 AM

Greetings,

I created an exit 7 program (COBOL) for AFTER CAST, APPROVE, RESET, and DELETE processing.  The program calls a REXX program via ISPLINK, which runs various API's to gather information for a package dashboard.  This works great in foreground mode (used by 99% of our developers).  But there are a couple of people that know how to use the batch package option.  The exit fires off as expected, but gets lost at the REXX call. Luckily, he just gives up (instead of abending), but the resulting dashboard entry is incomplete.  The REXX already lives in the CSIQCLS0 library, but I don't know what to do to make ENBP1000 look there.  Can anyone help pull me back into the light?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

• 2.  Re: Exit 7 COBOL call to REXX won't work in Batch

Posted May 19, 2015 09:23 AM

Hi Rick,

Seeing the execution JCL would help but is the CSIQCLS0 dataset on a //SYSEXEC statement in the step?

Stuart

• 3.  Re: Exit 7 COBOL call to REXX won't work in Batch

Posted May 19, 2015 09:46 AM

Good Morning.

I tried that first.  He ignored the DD.  The EN$TRXIT showed that he was in my exit (COBOL), which also had a DISPLAY to show the call.  But the REXX was never invoked...

Rick

• 4.  Re: Exit 7 COBOL call to REXX won't work in Batch
    Best Answer

Posted May 20, 2015 03:22 AM

Hi Richard,

you wrote that you are using ISPLINK to call the rexx. That's an ISPF Call, isn't it?

Are you sure that you are running with ISPF when you are in Batch? normaly that is not the case.

We also have an Cobol Exit 7 that is calling rexx. We do this with IRXEXEC. (take a look to "TSO/E REXX REFERENCE" for IRXEXEC)

Maria

• 5.  Re: Exit 7 COBOL call to REXX won't work in Batch

Posted May 20, 2015 03:39 AM

Good point Maria.

• 6.  Re: Exit 7 COBOL call to REXX won't work in Batch

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 20, 2015 05:32 AM

Spot-on Maria.  Rick, does your Rexx use ISPF services too? and if so can you complete enough of the 'dashboard' variables from Batch or is a re-think required (perhaps saving the data at submit time to be read using EXECIO from a flat file instead?

• 7.  Re: Exit 7 COBOL call to REXX won't work in Batch

Posted May 20, 2015 04:44 PM

Thank you Maria.  I'll convert my call and see how it goes.  I am using some ISPF services in my processes (there are a bunch of sub-programs to support this dashboard).