OPS/MVS

View Only
  • 1.  Determine Storage Used by Report ID

Posted Jun 07, 2018 10:48 AM

Is there some kind of formula that can be used to determine how much space is being taken up by reports on tape. (maybe using number of lines)?  We have had "permanent hold" on reporting going back 20 years and are now, finally, being permitted to start reverting back to standard retention periods on some of these reports.  I'm being asked to try and calculate some kind of cost savings and I don't see anything that tells me how much data is being stored, based by report ID.

Thanks!

• 2.  Re: Determine Storage Used by Report ID
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 07, 2018 02:24 PM

Michael,

If you want to find how many report lines are on a tape, for the active reports, you can run the View SARPAC utility, using the REPORT function (PARM='view_hlq,REPORT'), which will show the total number of lines.  If there are mostly text reports, with LRECL=133, that may give you a general idea, but that should include a nominal amount of space reduction due to compaction, to get an idea of how much tape is used.

If you have any further questions, please open a Support case, and we will be happy to address them.

Regards,

Bob Keefe