OPS/MVS

View Only
  • 1.  Use OPSVASRV Function Across Systems That Don't Share DASD?

Posted Feb 07, 2018 11:23 AM

I would like to know if it's possible to use the OPSVASRV function across LPARs that don't share DASD? I have implemented it on LPARs that have access to the same OPAMSVDB, but would like to implement on LPARs that do not share the same DASD Devices.

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Steve

• 2.  Re: Use OPSVASRV Function Across Systems That Don't Share DASD?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 09, 2018 10:15 AM

Steve,

The OPAMSVDB is global variable database  and has nothing to do with SYSPLEX variables. 

OPSVARSRV uses the common services component CAVARSRV to create SYSPLEX variables. CAVARSRV stores the SYSPLEX variables in it's memory. Each CAVARSRV in the SYSPLEX synchonizes via the coupling facility. If a system goes down and comes back into the SYSPLEX it gets a copy of the variables from another CAVARSRV. This does not require the use of DASD. When using OPSVASRV to create or update SYSPLEX Variables.  GLVPLTXTx variables are temporary in nature as they are available as long as one CAVARSRV is still running in the SYSPLEX. If the SYSPLEX goes down then these variables are not recoverable.  GLVPLTXPx variables are considered permanent and are written to a “Shared” vsam file. If the SYSPLEX goes down the first CAVARSRV active reads the variables from this file.  So If you do not have a requirement to keep the variables in case of a SYSPLEX outage then DASD is not required.

I hope this answers your question. If not please provide more detail about what you are trying to accomplish.

• 3.  Re: Use OPSVASRV Function Across Systems That Don't Share DASD?

Posted Feb 09, 2018 11:21 AM

Thomas,

Thanks so much for the response.  This is very helpful.

Steve