Message Image  

OPS/MVS

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Cesar_Molina

Cesar_MolinaMay 04, 2016 10:38 AM

• 1.  How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Posted Dec 23, 2015 05:18 AM

Did anybody attempt to code procedures to SADUMP an lpar via OPSREXX ADDRESS HWS (BCPii)?

We can do the STOP and LOAD (IPL), but need to do the STORE STATUS somehow.

I guess it will need the HWISET at some point, but sofar have not been able the find the correct attribute?

any tips are welcome.

Marcel van Ek

Atos

• 2.  Re: How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Posted Dec 23, 2015 10:25 AM

Marcel,

As of today i have not worked before on a ticket for a client requesting information about how take a Stand-Alone Dump using the CA OPS/MVS ADDRESS HWS SENDCMD host command environment.

You can use SENDCMD to issue STOP, DEACTIVATE, ACTIVATE and LOAD (obviously not from the current CPC or LPAR).

Checked the z/OS manual to see if there are any known restrictions and the only 3 documented reasons that would prevent you from issue the Store Status function are documented in the following manual:

z/OS MVS Programming: Callable Services for High-Level Languages

Under the section "HWICMD — Issue a BCPii hardware management command" there is a "Restrictions" item that reads:

BCPii does not allow any HWICMD to be targeted to a CPC that is earlier than a z9 platform. BCPii does not allow HWICMD to be issued from within a BCPii ENF exit routine.

BCPii does not allow any HWICMD to be issued from a REXX exec running in a TSO/E or ISV-provided REXX environment.

This is also what I found in the IBM books about the procedure you should follow for taking the SAD dump:

Taking the Stand-Alone Dump

To take a stand-alone dump:

1. Stop the system.  If the system is at a disabled wait state, it is already stopped.  Otherwise use the Stop All function on the HMC. For a second level system, use the CP STOP CPU ALL command.
    2. Use the Store Status function on the HMC or check the Store Status box when you do the Load function in the next step. TypeSTORE STATUSon the CP command line if dumping a second level system.
    3. IPL the dump device.  Use the Load Normal function on the HMC.  Attention: Do not use the CLEAR option. If the dump device is SCSI, check the SCSI DUMP box, specify the FCP device number as the Load Address, and specify the necessary WWPN and LUN values. Specify 0 for Boot program selector and Boot record logical block address fields and blanks for Load parameter and Operating system specific load parameters.

For dumping a second level system using 3390 DASD, use the IPL command without the CLEAR operand, and do not specify LOADPARM.  If using SCSI devices, first use the CP SET DUMPDEV command to define the location of the dump device using the same values as described in previous paragraph.  Then use the CP IPL command with the DUMP operand.

The dumper displays messages on the system console as it progresses. For example, these messages were displayed when dumping a 10 GB second level system to a 3390 DASD at device number 555.

CP STOP CPU ALL 
    STORE STATUS
    Store complete. 
    TERM CONMODE 3215 
    IPL 555
    Booting default...
    Starting Stand-alone Dump
    Done initializing disks
    Dumping Frame Table
    Dumping memory:
    00000000 / 00000047 MB
    00000008 / 00000047 MB
    00000016 / 00000047 MB
    00000024 / 00000047 MB
    00000032 / 00000047 MB
    00000040 / 00000047 MB
    00000047 / 00000047 MB
    Stand-alone Dump was successful.
    HCPGSP2629I The virtual machine is placed in CP mode due to a SIGP stop from CPU 00.

Links to the two documents where I found all these references are:

IBM Knowledge Center

IBM Knowledge Center

Marcel, let us know if this helps or if you already tried it and encounter problems while doing it.

You couild also wait a bit to see if the rest of our community has tried something similar in the past.

Cesar

• 3.  Re: How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Posted Jan 06, 2016 05:29 AM

Well, as I stated we've accomplished the STOP/START/DEACTIVATE/ACTIVATE/LOAD already (keeping in mind the restrictions, thus from another lpar)

It is the STORE STATUS that is more difficult, as there is no simple SENDCMD for it via HWS.

Regards,

Marcel van Ek

• 4.  Re: How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Posted Jan 06, 2016 05:16 PM

Marcel,

Did you complete this IBM documented step prior using the STORE STATUS command from the CA OPS/MVS ADDRESS HWS SENDCMD host command environment.

1.- Stop the system. If the system is at a disabled wait state, it is already stopped.  Otherwise use the Stop All function on the HMC. For a second level system, use the CP STOP CPU ALL command.

When you do use STORE STATUS is there any response back to your program that can give us a clue? Do you want this to be handled via a Support ticket?

Cesar

• 5.  Re: How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Posted Jan 07, 2016 02:43 AM

No, as I pointed out : I have no clue HOW to do the STORE STATUS from ADDRESS HWS....

That was my question.

Marcel van Ek

• 6.  Re: How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Posted Jan 07, 2016 11:52 AM

Marcel

ADDRESS HWS "SENDCMD
    CMDTEXT(„STORE STATUS‟) ENTITY(LPAR(„SAMPLE1‟)
    CPC(„IBM..MACHINE.SAMPLE1‟))"

Cesar

• 7.  Re: How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Posted Jan 08, 2016 03:19 AM

Well, that isn't documented, but I tried anyway

result: (flagged some of the output as this is an open forum)

OPS0341J HWS error : ADDRESSHWS - NONZERO RETURN CODE: - RC 12 ; RSC X'00B30039'                       
    OPS0996J HWScmd: SENDCMD CMDTEXT('STORE STATUS') ENTITY(LPAR('xxxxx') CPC('*********')) DEBUG(YES)
    OPS0349T HWSEVNT - EVENT CODE: X'00000066'                                                             
    HWSCMDRESP ENTITY COMMAND RESPONSE LPAR ******                                                         
    HWDATA Hardware Event: HWSCMDRESP   OPSsubsys: OPSS                                                    
    **********************************************************************                                 
    * App: HIS    Ver: 02.04.00   Level: RESERVED   TYPE: ENTITY**                                 
    * DATE/TIME: 2016/01/08  09:12:50.65  EV LEVEL: 5           **                                 
    * DESC: ENTITY COMMAND RESPONSE                                 **                                 
    * Event Entity: LPAR ******                                     **                                 
    * *Entity Hierarchy*                                            **                                 
    * LPAR         Lv: 5     xxxxx                         **                                 
    * CPC          Lv: 4     xxxxxxxx                 **                                 
    * Ensemble     Lv: 3     ***********                                 
    * Installation Lv: 2     xxxxxxxxxx                 **                                 
    * Enterprise   Lv: 1     xxxxxxxxxxx**                                 
    *  Cmd Type: 6      Cmd RC: 0         CMDLAST           **                                 
    **********************************************************************                                  

• 8.  Re: How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Posted Jan 08, 2016 03:26 AM

OPS0341J HWS error : ADDRESSHWS - NONZERO RETURN CODE: - RC 12 RSC: X'00B30039'  

• 9.  Re: How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Posted Jan 08, 2016 03:27 AM

Well really annoying editor on this forum

RSC: X'00B30039'  

Marcel

• 10.  Re: How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Posted Jan 08, 2016 09:51 AM

Marcel,

We do not document all the commands you can send to the HMC console via the HWS interface.

That is the reason why you can not find the STORE STATUS command documented in your CA OPS/MVS manual.

Marcel, the RC=12 and reason codes are normally associated with a lack of security to execute the command.

One way to debug this error is captureing a SECTRACE you can terse and send us via a ticket.

Another option is make sure, in case you are running your code in a OSF Server, that the user running the OSF task has the authority to perform this HMC command.

There will be no violations erros in your Security product about it. This is why a SECTRACE is needed.

I understand you are not sharing some info for the messages returned since this is an open forum.

We can take this to a ticket if you feel we should at this time.

Let me know Marcel

Regards, Cesar

• 11.  Re: How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Posted Jan 12, 2016 03:32 AM

Ok thanks..

Some additional messages appeared in OPSLOG which led me to believe STORE STATUS is not a valid command:

OPS0349T ADDRESSHWS - HiSrv SENDCMD failed. HiSrv RC: 12 ; RSC: X'560000B3'

OPS0349T ADDRESSHWS - HiSrv SENDCMD ERROR - unknown command.               

Forgot to include these....

But,

OPS0341J HWS error : ADDRESSHWS - NONZERO RETURN CODE: - RC 12 ; RSC X'00B30039'

The OPS341 MSG acc to doc explains as:

RC12:
    A nonzero return code was received from HiSrv. The first two bytes of the reason
    code were set and an error message was issued.

RSC X'00B30039'

x'39' last two bytes: HiSrv SENDCMD call error.

Plus, the user doing this has full authorization. Can do also IPL (LOAD).

Regards, Marcel

• 12.  Re: How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Posted Jan 12, 2016 04:44 PM

Marcel

I am reaching out internally and in your behalf CA HISRV Customer Support Level 1 to confirm your findings.

Once I know more from that group we will update this thread with an answer.

Regards, Cesar

• 13.  Re: How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Posted Feb 19, 2016 07:55 AM

Hi Cesar. anything new to report?

• 14.  Re: How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Posted Feb 19, 2016 09:28 AM

Hello Marcel,

No news to report as of today Marcel.

I am reaching out another team member from the Sustaining Engiineer group for HISRV.

They recently helped us with another verry similar case for advanced consultation.

As soon as I receive feedback from that team I will let you know.

Thanks for your patience Marcel

Cesar

• 15.  Re: How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Posted Feb 25, 2016 11:58 AM

Marcel,

I have been in contact with the HISRV Sustining Engineer who is assisting us in this discussion.

We need more time to go over your request so we can offer you a solution.

I am expecting to post another update next week once we have a direction.

Cesar

• 16.  Re: How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Posted Feb 26, 2016 07:18 AM

Thanks for the update Cesar.

marcel.

• 17.  Re: How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Posted Apr 22, 2016 06:48 AM

Cesar, any news, It's been 2 months by now.....

• 18.  Re: How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Posted Apr 22, 2016 11:13 AM

Hello Marcel,

Cesar is not available today due to illness. I believe he will be able to update you next week. Thanks for following up on this with us.

• 19.  Re: How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Posted Apr 25, 2016 11:25 AM

Marcel,

I am back in the office and I have already contacted the Sustaining Engineer form the HISRV product who is assisting us with this request.

Once we know more about your request we will let you know.

Cesar

• 20.  Re: How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Posted Apr 25, 2016 06:36 PM

Marcel,

As promised I have a chance today to briefly discuss this post with our HISRV Sustaining Engineer. This is the direction I have been given as to how you should handle your original request.

Because the HMC command STORE STATUS requires additional parameters, like the dataset name where the SAD dump will be taken, what we recommend is to define a partition profile you can activate using the Address HWS interface.

You can manually activate a partition profile by using the Hardware Management Console (HMC). When you activate a partition profile, you activate a logical partition and you can also setup a SAD dump to be taken.

The system commits resources to the logical partition based on the configuration in the partition profile and starts the operating system or software that is installed on the logical partition. As part of this process you could also request a STORE STATUS to be performed as part of the profile activation. Settings in the partition profile will allow you to do this and will make easier for you to code the OPS/REXX program that uses the Address HWS interface to activate the profile. For additional information how to perform the profile activation please visit the following IBM publication:

z/OS MVS Programming: Callable Services for High-Level Languages

This is a direct link to it:

IBM Knowledge Center

Hope this gives you ideas Marcel and sorry for taking so long to respond.

Regards, Cesar

• 21.  Re: How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Posted May 03, 2016 02:48 AM

Thank you Cesar, I'll discuss it internally

• 22.  Re: How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Posted May 04, 2016 10:38 AM

Sounds like a plan Marcel

Keep us posted.

Cesar

• 23.  RE: Re: How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Posted Mar 05, 2021 06:36 AM
    Well , Broadcom finally provided me with a means of enabling the STORESTATUS checkbox on HMC for a given load profile:

You can use the "ASS' attribute on a load activation profile (LAP):
    Address HWS,
    "SETATTR ATTR('ASS') ATTRVAL(1)",
    "ENTITY(CPC('IBM390PS."cpcname"')",
    "PROFILES(PROFILES)",
    "LAP("profilename")) "

This works nicely. Of course you'll need to disable it afterwards too (set it to 0)

Still, all my SADUMPs come up with "ALL STORAGE IS BINARY ZEROES"

So a few questions:
    - The "Clear the main memory on this partition before loading it" checbox is not checked! But it looks like it did anyway?
      - What attribute is this in BCPII terms?
    - I did a "SENDCMD(STOP)" towards the lpar: Does that stop all processors or is stopping an lpar something else?
      - How DO i stop all processors then?

Marcel van Ek

------------------------------
    Automated Operations Technical Expert
    Atos
    Netherlands

• 24.  RE: How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Posted Mar 15, 2021 03:31 AM
    I ended up creating an issue with IBM, and they've given the ultimate response:

Hello Marcel,

The main show stopper here is how it currently works with a HWI_CMD_LOAD call.

The current HWI_CMD_LOAD design is to automatically do a CLEAR by default; if this works fine for an IPL, it is obviously not suited for IPLing SADMP.

There is a RFE opened requesting this support for stand-alone dump, titled:

'Want to start/IPL a Standalone Dump using BCPII'

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=129458

I suggest you review the RFE and vote, the more votes the more weight it puts on the request."

So until that RFE is implemented we'll have to wait. Feel free  to vote for it if you've got an IBM id :)

Marcel van Ek

Automated Operations Technical Expert
    Atos
    Netherlands

• 25.  RE: How to perform a SADUMP via BICPii (Address HWS)

Posted Mar 16, 2021 06:51 AM
    +1