OPS/MVS

View Only
  • 1.  In the Action table what variables are available

Posted Dec 16, 2015 06:24 PM

In the action table &jobname, &name, &ssmtable are valid variables for substitution.  Is there a list of additional variables that are predefined?   If I need to create variables, in the manual it looks like I put the values in a global  GLOBAL0.#SSMVARS.varname, to create custom variables?  (SETVAL=OPSVALUE('GLOBAL0.#SSMVARS.SYSID','U','SYSA')  from my understanding I could then use &SYSID in the action table  ex  MVSCMD("START CNM&SYSID").                             I would like to create some of my own variables, one is the 4 character system name.

Chris

• 2.  Re: In the Action table what variables are available

Posted Dec 17, 2015 11:33 AM

Chris,

Since your goal is setup your own variables and use them in the column ACTION_TEXT of your SSM RDF action table when using the MVSCMD action clause, consider using the z/OS Static System Symbols feature. The table that defines static system symbols is kept in your SYS1.PARMLIB dataset under the member name IEASYMxx.

As an additional information the z/OS display command:

/D SYMBOLS

Can help you determine what static system symbols are available in your system for you to use in conjunction with the MVSCMD action clause.

Let us know today Chris if this is helping.

Regards, Cesar

• 3.  Re: In the Action table what variables are available

Posted Dec 17, 2015 11:38 AM

Thanks Cesar, I was not sure/couldn't remember where those variables come from.  What is the purpose of the  GLOBAL0.#SSMVARS.varname process?

Thanks

Chris

• 4.  Re: In the Action table what variables are available

Posted Dec 17, 2015 12:00 PM

You're welcome Chris

Besides z/OS static system symbols you could use other type of variables in the action clauses.

This is fully documented in the User Guide chapter 7 'Using System State Manager' item 'Specify Variables in Action Clauses'

I believe one example uses a global prefix of GLOBAL0.

Just visit OPSVIEW 4.8 to confirm the ones you are planning to use are defined and contains the values you wish to use in your action clauses.

Hope this helps clarify much better your original question.

Regards, Cesar