Scheduler

View Only
  • 1.  CA Scheduler (DE Series) - Trigger limited number of jobs using resources

Posted Jun 22, 2016 01:00 AM

Hi Experts,

The application has twenty five independent jobs and the requirements is to run ten jobs simultaneously (not all twenty five together) to avoid resource contention issues. I created a renewable resource (availability as ten and maximum availability as twenty) and assigned the resource to the jobs (resource quantity 1 per job). After triggering the job, I observed that only one job was being executed at a time. The next job was being submitted once previously running job was completed.

As stated above, the requirement is run ten jobs simultaneously. Could you please let me know how the desired functionality can be achieved using resources or an alternative approach.

Kind Regards,

Sudhir Goel

• 2.  Re: CA Scheduler (DE Series) - Trigger limited number of jobs using resources
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 22, 2016 08:49 AM

Hi Sudhir,

It appears you might have updated the resources via the services perspective after it was created.  If so, you will have to restart dSeries for the changes to effect.  To dynamically update the resource, follow the steps below.

View or Modify a Resource

You can modify an existing resource in the Services perspective if you need to
    change its details.

Note: You must cold start the server for the new value to take effect.

Follow these steps:

1. Open the Services perspective. A list of server connections is displayed in the Services
      view.
    2. Right-click Resources under your server connection
      and click Open from the pop-up menu.
      The Resources view opens.
    3. Enter the complete or partial resource name in the Resource name field to limit the resources
      displayed, and click the arrow next to the Resource name field.
      Note: You must include a wildcard for a
      partial name. For example, RES* displays all the resources whose names start with
      RES.
      You can leave the Resource name field blank to display all resources.A list of the resources matching your criteria is
      displayed.
    4. Right-click the resource you want to view and click Open from the
      pop-up menu.
      The details for the specified resource appear.
    5. (Optional) Modify the details as appropriate, and click the
      Save icon.
      The modified resource is saved.

HTH,

Regards,

Pradeepan Gunabalasingam

• 3.  Re: CA Scheduler (DE Series) - Trigger limited number of jobs using resources

Posted Jun 22, 2016 09:27 AM

Hi,

We create our resource to be 10 avail, 10 max avail and a quantity of 1 per job unless you want a job to take up more than 1 unit.  Once a resource is created the numbers cannot be modified without a cold restart.  In order to avoid a cold restart I delete and recreate the resource.

Sharon

• 4.  Re: CA Scheduler (DE Series) - Trigger limited number of jobs using resources

Posted Jun 22, 2016 01:07 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the answers. I modified the resource after creating it. Cold start of dseries server fixed the issue.

Kind Regards,

Sudhir Goel