Output Management Web Viewer

View Only
  • 1.  Tuesday Tips: Why Shouldn't I use the embedded Derby Database for Production for Web Viewer 12.0 and 12.1?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 07, 2015 12:01 PM

The internal database option was intended for demo and proof of concept installations.  I was never intended for production use.  It cannot be used with load balancing and the files are prone to deletion.

• 2.  Re: Tuesday Tips: Why Shouldn't I use the embedded Derby Database for Production for Web Viewer 12.0 and 12.1?

Posted Jan 07, 2015 12:05 PM

Thanks Nancy.  Plus, the external database option using DB2 has not been difficult to set up.  Just have to get all your information gathered together and make sure you reference it properly during the install.  

Dave

• 3.  Re: Tuesday Tips: Why Shouldn't I use the embedded Derby Database for Production for Web Viewer 12.0 and 12.1?

Posted Jan 07, 2015 01:15 PM

Thanks for the tip, Nancy.

• 4.  Re: Tuesday Tips: Why Shouldn't I use the embedded Derby Database for Production for Web Viewer 12.0 and 12.1?

Posted Jan 08, 2015 05:20 AM

Thanks for the tip. It really helps to be clear about this because I do see large enterprise clients implementing to production with the Derby database. Perhaps it would help to have some BIG caveat about this in the Configuration Tool script to make sure everybody is aware.
    I wonder, does the same apply to use of the internal Tomcat web-server? In other words, is there an equivalent tip that, when Tomcat on z/OS is desrired, the Common Services Tomcat should be used in preference to the internal Tomcat?

• 5.  Re: Tuesday Tips: Why Shouldn't I use the embedded Derby Database for Production for Web Viewer 12.0 and 12.1?

Posted Jan 08, 2015 01:02 PM

For Tomcat, I had Tomcat 6 on my two servers, and then found that vulnerability checking gave Tomcat 6 as one, so had to go to Tomcat 7 for Web Viewer.  So, that was an external install after the fact.  At this time, I am not using the Common Services version of Tomcat, but keeping it individual with both Web Viewer and Chorus Software Manager.