Datacom

View Only
  • 1.  How to create a report of all fields in all databases

Posted Jan 08, 2019 11:20 AM

What is the best way to generate a report of all fields in the all databases, is this possible to do?

In the past when doing similar actions I've generated reports for single fields but in this instance I need to generate a report that lists every single field.

• 2.  Re: How to create a report of all fields in all databases
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 08, 2019 11:38 AM

David,

A DDUTILTY field report will give you a lot of info about each field:

-USR xxxxx

-RPT FIELD,TABLE,table-occ-name(status)

-END

You could likely write a simple SQL query against, I guess, the dictionary FIELD table, if you like…

Thanks,

Clyde

• 3.  Re: How to create a report of all fields in all databases

Posted Jan 09, 2019 04:56 AM

Thanks Clyde

• 4.  Re: How to create a report of all fields in all databases

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 08, 2019 04:39 PM

Hi David, since we are helping you in your open case, I will mark this complete here.

For the record, Clyde, we also suggested this FIELD report, and gave a process to create a COBOL copybook if that is easier for their developers.

• 5.  Re: How to create a report of all fields in all databases

Posted Jan 10, 2019 07:22 AM

Here's a discussion of the process to create a COBOL copybook: Re: Expansion of Datacom/DB tables in COBOL 

• 6.  Re: How to create a report of all fields in all databases

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 11, 2019 01:11 AM

Dave,

Can you tell us what it is you are looking to do?   It would help in recommending what tools to use.

There is a  POC active that will export all columns from a given database to a report format and a flat file format.

• Report format provides a one-page column report by table showing all columns in a programmers reference format.
    • Flat file format exports all columns definitions with relevet database/area/table information included. 
      • The flat file format can be exported to XCEL for reporting, sorting etc.

If you executed  the POC once for each database in the shop and combined the export files you would have all the column information (with the additional database/area/table) so they could be sorted or compared.

Kevin

• 7.  Re: How to create a report of all fields in all databases

Posted Jan 14, 2019 06:48 AM

Hi Kevin,

Clyde's answer above was used in conjunction with what I got from Don in support so I have what I need.

I ran -RPT FIELD,TABLE,ALL(PROD) to give me a list of all the fields in our Datadictionary. Our developers wished to review same as they are looking for similarly used fields across a number of databases as part of a review, fields that should have the same name but do not.

Thanks,

David