Top Secret

View Only
  • 1.  Can REXX invoke TSSSIM? (or) Where does TSSSIM find the commands I enter?

Posted Apr 06, 2017 04:37 PM

I love TSSSIM, but I'm trying to write a command to make it more convenient to use in the foreground.  I'm having trouble figuring out how to get TSSSIM to see the commands I enter.

1) The usual way is to put the commands in the queue and then invoke TSSSIM.  That works with FTP, for example, and TSO itself.  But TSSSIM ignores those commands.

2) With ACF2 you can get CLIST to start ACF2 and then issue the subcommands on the fly.  TSSSIM doesn't seem to see those, either.

3) I tried writing the commands to the SYSIN DD; no joy there.

4) The CA documentation says in batch TSSSIM gets the input from DD SIM$$IN, so I tried writing the commands there; same result.

It's probably simple, but I'm almost out of ideas.  Any automators out there know the answer?  TSSSIM would be ~so~ much more convenient if a one-line command could result in the answer, instead of typing out each command separately.  Like this:

tso mysim user001 prodv.acp.t1335acp.daily update

If utterly necessary I can interact with batch, but it would be kludgy.

• 2.  Re: Can REXX invoke TSSSIM? (or) Where does TSSSIM find the commands I enter?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 07, 2017 10:14 AM

HI Bob,

You should be able to run TSSSIM from a REXX.

In order to simulate resource classes with ATTR=MIXCASE, TSSSIM was changed to use TSO-managed Terminal I/O instead of DFP-managed File I/O in TSO/E-Foreground environment.

TSS 8.0 fix QO73808 changed the following: 

** If both DD=SIM$$IN and DD=SIM$$OUT are allocated with DFP-managed datasets in "TSO/E-Foreground" environment, TSSSIM will read its commands from DD=SIM$$IN and write its output into DD=SIM$$OUT.
    This is for a REXX or CLIST running in TSO/E-Foreground.
        For example:
               |
               PROC 0
               FREE F(SIM$$IN SIM$$OUT) 

FREE F(SIM$$IN SIM$$OUT)
               ALLOC F(SIM$$IN) DA('Input_DSNAME') SHR
               ALLOC F(SIM$$OUT) DA('Output_DSNAME') SHR
               TSSSIM
               FREE F(SIM$$IN SIM$$OUT) 
               |

- If one of those DD statements (or both of them) is allocated with DA(*) in TSO/E-Foreground, TSSSIM will NOT perform its I/O using those DD statements.

- If the resource simulation runs in ISPF-Dialog mode, DD=SIM$$OUT should NOT be pre-allocated before getting into TSSSIM-owned primary panel because it is used for displaying the error message of invalid resources.

Best regards,

Bob Boerum

• 3.  Re: Can REXX invoke TSSSIM? (or) Where does TSSSIM find the commands I enter?

Posted Apr 07, 2017 04:06 PM

That's got it, Bob—after a brief contretemps until I realized I was spelling it SYM$$IN and SYM$$OUT.  Thanks very much; I'm back on track now.  You are still The Man.