IDMS

View Only
  • 1.  The new IDMS User Bookshelf is available

Posted Sep 21, 2012 05:32 PM
    As promised, we have a smaller version of the CA IDMS User v18 bookshelf now available on CA Support Online:

Users with My CA access should have access to view and download this smaller bookshelf. This is a new way of providing you IDMS documentation, so please let us know if you are having any problems. If you have a problem accessing the bookshelf through My CA, please log in through CA Support Online. This is our first pass at which books we can allow you access at this lower security level. Previously, all books required an enterprise-level site ID and login.
    The books available on this new bookshelf are:
    • ADS Application Design Guide
    • ADS User Guide
    • Culprit for CA IDMS User Guide
    • Culprit for CA IDMS Messages and Codes Guide
    • Glossary
    • Endevor/DB Change Manager Messages and Codes Guide
    • Messages and Codes Guide—Volume 1
    • Messages and Codes Guide—Volume 2
    • Messages and Codes Guide—Volume 3
    • Messages and Codes Guide—Volume 4
    • Server User Guide
    • SQL Self-Training Guide

The IUA leaders specifically asked for the DML Online User guide, but we are still reviewing that book for any security issues. Over the next few weeks we will be adding more books.

Please let us know what you think.

• 2.  RE: The new IDMS User Bookshelf is available

Posted Sep 24, 2012 10:05 PM
    Colin - just about the same time you created this post - I needed to access some Release 18 documentation - I somehow found it through Support Online (and please don't access the path I took to get there) and I located what I needed at the following URL:

[color=#e70c0c]https://supportcontent.ca.com/cadocs/7/CA%20IDMS%20Version%2018%200%20%20Second%20Edition-ENU/Bookshelf.html[color] which I will call Gary's Search Full Set of IDMS 18.0 Doco

as compared to:

[color=#e70c0c]https://support.ca.com/cadocs/1/CA%20IDMS%20DB%20CA%20IDMS%20User%20Bookshelf%20Version%2018%200%2000%20Second%20Edition-ENU/Bookshelf.html[color] which I will call The new IDMS Bookshelf subset of IDMS 18.0 doco

I wonder if they are the same bookshelf but just a different index? Is there a reason why the selected set for the 2nd bookshelf is quite so reduced? Would you consider adding titles based on feedback? Maybe conduct a poll to see what people actually need to refer to the most? Other ways of determining what would be in that shelf?

Personally, I find the reduced set easier to use since I see the titles that are available - without taking a chance that what I want will be under one letter of the alphabet or not!

TIA - cheers - Gary

• 3.  RE: The new IDMS User Bookshelf is available

Posted Oct 04, 2012 01:55 PM
    Hi everyone - two items today:

The original hyperlink I posted is no longer valid. We changed the title of the bookshelf to better reflect the content, so there is a new hyperlink.
    You will find the new CA IDMS Version 18 User Bookshelf here: https://support.ca.com/cadocs/1/CA%20IDMS%20Version%2018%200%20User%20Bookshelf-ENU/Bookshelf.html

-----------------------------

Gary,
    Sorry for the delay - I just realized last week that I didn't have the email feeds turned on yet, so I missed this.
    That first link you posted above is or the full Version 18 bookshelf. The second edition has updates to the Installation guide that reflect our latest version of CA MSM (Mainframe Software Manager).

The second link you posted is the new User bookshelf. While they contain identical copies of the same books, the User Bookshelf is a much smaller doc set.
    The difference is the User Bookshelf is available to any user with a log in ID to CA Support Online & My CA.
    Due to security limitations we cannot open up the entire documentation set to this lower access level. We will review and expand what is available over the next few months, but the User Bookshelf is always going to be a much smaller doc set than the full Bookshelf. Of course, any user with full Enterprise-level (a valid site ID, in other words) can always access the full bookshelf. Because you found it and were able to open it, this means you have this higher level of access. That said, we will review the rest of the doc set and see what we can downgrade on the security level.
    What books would you like to see added to the User Bookshelf?
    We’ll do what we can within reason.

Thanks,
    Colin