CA 7 Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Any insights on how REST API is being utilized?

Posted Jan 31, 2022 10:43 AM
    I am curious about any ideas of how the REST API  (for CA7 r12.1) is being used or will be used.  I took the introductory course to get an idea and I have to admit I feel like I am missing something.  We already have Web Client so I am wondering if REST API would bring any other advantages.  My main concern is due to our environment and how much effort would be involved to get the REST API up and running.  In other words...is it worth it for us?  Does the cost benefit ratio make sense? 
    So, with that in mind...what are people using REST API for?  How are you using it?
    I should also say that my background is mostly mainframe so if anyone starts talking about the distributed/server world please use **** terms.   Just being honest.  lol
    I really appreciate any feedback.

• 2.  RE: Any insights on how REST API is being utilized?

Posted Feb 08, 2022 03:21 PM
    Follow up:  Now that I have done some basic research on REST API I have a better understanding of what it is.  My question still remains...
    What are people doing with REST API?  How is it being used?  Not looking for details necessarily but some general ideas would be helpful.  Thanks!

• 3.  RE: Any insights on how REST API is being utilized?
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 17, 2022 09:45 AM
    Hello Dana, Hope all is well !! 

CA 7 REST APIs integrate the Mainframe with distributed systems for the purpose of Automation, Orchestration, and Integration of Workloads. Some of the use cases I have seen from other customers are below: 

• Automation & Orchestration: A large customer implemented APIs and automated job failure resolution steps. They found 70% of job failures involve repetitive tasks like restart, cancel, resubmit, etc., and no need for manual intervention. So they automated and orchestrated actions directly from Service Now (ticketing tool) and empowered the Application teams to perform certain actions using APIs. Cost-saving and resource optimization. 

• CICD Automation: A large customer is now implementing APIs to integrate Mainframe and automate end-to-end continuous build & test processes (DevOps) with distributed systems. The software industry (mostly distributed) has already moved on to DevOps. This customer plans to check-in, build, deploy code, and run 100% automated tests from Front End to Mainframes in one go. Our APIs help them add/delete and modify jobs/schedules on the fly. Improved speed of building software means improving speed to market. 

• Integration with other Workloads: Several customers of CA 7 and AutoSys want to take advantage of APIs to manage cross scheduler job/dataset dependences. By this, they will eliminate the use of intermediate components like an external tracking table, AutoSys connect, and File transfers making it **** and easy to debug or maintain software.   
    Bottom line, APIs could provide the same level of security, user access permissions as your mainframes, and in addition, they provide flexibility to connect with the rest of the world (including cloud applications). So we see unlimited opportunities in the marketplace. 

We can schedule a call to assess your current needs based on your availability. Just send me an email. 

Thanks,
    -Kalyan
    kalyan.l@broadcom.com

------------------------------
    -Kalyan
    Product Manager(CA7, iDash, JCL Check)
    Broadcom Inc.
    TX, USA
    ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Any insights on how REST API is being utilized?

Posted Feb 18, 2022 10:43 AM
    Thank you Kalyan!  I appreciate the feedback.
    Dana