CA 7 Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

What is considered the best practice for the posting of transmissions to CA-7?

• 1.  What is considered the best practice for the posting of transmissions to CA-7?

Posted Aug 22, 2018 04:13 PM

We have long ago standardized on using Connect:Direct for data set transmissions. Someone (before my tenure) decided the we should handle this is the following (IMO overly complicated) process.

1. Upon the successful completion of a transmission, Connect:Direct submits a job (call it A1) from a library associated with Connect:Direct.
    2. Job A1 consists of a single step that executes SASSTRLR. The input to this is DEMAND,JOB=A2.
    3. A2 is defined to CA-7 as an EXEC=N job. It triggers other jobs or satisfies a job requirement for other jobs.

My thought is that it would be more streamlined to have Connect:Direct execute U7SVC to either post the creation of the dataset. That posting could serve as a dataset trigger for jobs or it could satisfy a dataset requirement that exists for a job.

My company is big on adopting "best practices". Thus I am asking if there is a technique that is considered a best practice.

• 2.  Re: What is considered the best practice for the posting of transmissions to CA-7?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 23, 2018 08:21 AM

Jeff, the scenario you described is basically the same regardless if you use SASSTRLR or U7SVC. The 2 programs uses the SVC. I don't believe switching from one to the other will buy you much. The event driven process you are currently doing, I would consider a best practice when it comes to Connect Direct.