ESP Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Generate tickets from ESP to CA Service Management

Posted Jun 20, 2017 02:34 PM

All,

We are currently moving from HP Service Manager (HPSM) to CA Service Manager (CASM).  I would like to know if anyone is using CASM, and if so, are they automatically generating tickets for abends and overdue jobs?

Currently, we have some JCL that sends an email to HPSM.  Apparently, we will not be using this functionality in CASM.  While I am investigating using a web services job, I would like to see what is being done with web services already and if there are other options. 

Thanks!

Jonathan

• 2.  Re: Generate tickets from ESP to CA Service Management
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 21, 2017 11:39 AM

Hi Jonathan,

I got reply from our CASM support team as below, you may also raise your question in CASM user community:

The recommended approach would be to balance the web services option.  Below, is information regarding best practices and recommendation for web services and SDM. 

https://docops.ca.com/ca-service-management/17-0/en/administering/administering-ca-service-desk-manager/web-services-for-ca-sdm-best-practices-and-recommendations

Hope this helps,

Lucy

• 3.  Re: Generate tickets from ESP to CA Service Management

Posted Jun 22, 2017 08:59 AM

Lucy,

This is helpful.  I will pass it on to our "SDM guy".  However, what I am primarily looking for is a sample job definition for either a web services job or a POJO job where information about a failed job (i.e. job name, application, start time, abend time etc.) is being passed to SDM.  This will be our first web service (actually our "SDM guy" is thinking POJO) job.  All I have to go on at this point is the sample jobs in the documentation (which just show fictitious stock quotes) and output from the WSDL (which I'm still figuring out how to determine what to "plug in" to the job definition.

Beyond that, I am wondering if there are other methods of getting tickets generated in SDM whenever jobs abend or are marked overdue in ESP, or if this is the preferred methodology.

Thanks!

Jonathan

• 4.  Re: Generate tickets from ESP to CA Service Management

Posted Jun 22, 2017 09:23 AM

We use the NOTIFY statement at the top of the Application/Proc.

Check out the link below for additional details and the comments from others.

https://communities.ca.com/thread/109856761                                                            

• 5.  Re: Generate tickets from ESP to CA Service Management

Posted Jun 22, 2017 09:38 AM

Perhaps small detail I forgot to add is that we cannot use email for this anymore. . . . . That's why I'm /thinking/ that a web services job or POJO job may be the best alternative.  Since we currently have an alert defined that triggers JCL that sends an email, we would just simply change that alert to submit (or invoke) the web service job / POJO job. 

I'm not exactly sure how we would get messages from OPS/MVS to SDM. . . .

• 6.  Re: Generate tickets from ESP to CA Service Management

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 22, 2017 10:31 AM

Hi Jonathan,

I suggest that you may pass our manual for WEB_SERV and POJO_JOB to your SDM guy, who knows more about what is required by CA Service manager. 

I would agree that our manual doesn't have many examples. So if any help is needed, you may open a support case and we can gather CA experts from different teams.

If you want to seek direction using OPS/MVS to pass messages to SDM, you may place a post in OPS/MVS community.

Rick, thank you for your input, hope other users may provide real examples too.

Lucy

• 7.  Re: Generate tickets from ESP to CA Service Management

Posted Jun 22, 2017 09:46 AM

Hi Jonathan, 

I looked through the CA Service Management docs....

I think it would be best to open a ticket to the Service Management group to see what interface they recommend.

For the basic case it looks like they have a command line interface.

I think it would be possible to 

1) Install an agent on the Service Management server. 

2) Create a shell script that accepts the MN variables and issues the command to Service Management. 

3) Create an ALERT that will initiate a job and pass the MN variables into the script created in step 2)

It is also possible to enable the Service Management "mail eater" . Then an E-mail can be sent to it in a special format and it will read it.