ESP Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Automating batch triggering and monitor of jobs using any Java library

Posted Jun 06, 2017 11:42 AM

Hi, Am new to CA WA Workstation EE, my requirement is to trigger a job in ca wa workstation and monitor it to verify whether the job ran successfully. For this requirement, I have CA WA installed in my machine, but i shouldn't be using it as I need to integrate it in a end to end validations of DB and some other UI validations through Selenium tool, can you guys please guide me on how to triger and monitor the job using any java library. any example code would be really appreciable.

• 2.  Re: Automating batch triggering and monitor of jobs using any Java library
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 12, 2017 02:06 PM

Hello,

We have application service agent, it supports HTTP_JOB, not sure if it will work with Selenium tool:

HTTP Jobs
    The HTTP job invokes a program over HTTP in a similar way to a web browser. For example, you can use the HTTP job to invoke a CGI script, a Perl script, or a servlet. The HTTP job sends a URL over HTTP using the GET method or a form over HTTP using the POST method. The output of the invocation is returned in the job's spool file.
    Note: To run these jobs, your system requires CA WA Agent for UNIX, Linux, or Windows and CA WA Agent for Application Services.
    The GET method requests data and sends the data as part of the URL. The POST method submits data and is the preferred method for sending lengthy form data.
    To define an HTTP job, you require the following information:
    ■ URL of the application server
    ■ Program or servlet to invoke

And we have agent for database, which supports DB_MON:

The DB_MON statement starts a Database Monitor job definition. You can define a Database Monitor job to monitor a database table for an increase or decrease in the number of rows. To monitor the database table for specific changes, you can add a monitor condition to the job definition. When the condition is met, the job completes. You can set up continuous monitoring so that each time a database change occurs, an alert or an event is triggered.

I will involve our agent expert to provide more input.

Lucy

• 3.  Re: Automating batch triggering and monitor of jobs using any Java library

Posted Jun 12, 2017 10:57 PM

Hi Lucy.. Thanks for your help. Can you please let me know how do I get these agents installed in my machine. Do they come in-built with workstation software or should I get them installed separately? And also when I checked with my business team on the sort of jobs that needs to be triggered, they mentioned it to be ETL job running on a mainframe server.. Can we still use the http get and put protocol methods to trigger ETL Jobs? Please don't mind if I am asking an irrelevant question. Kindly let me know if there is any documentation or case study on this regard.. 

Thanks, 

Vamsi krishna. 

• 4.  Re: Automating batch triggering and monitor of jobs using any Java library

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 13, 2017 11:14 AM

Hi Vamsi,

The agents are separate products that need their own license and installation.

If HTTP_JOB can be used to monitor, then you can define the mainframe ETL job as the successor, then it will run after HTTP_JOB completes, like:

HTTP_JOB CHECK

RELEASE ETLJOB

ENDJOB

JOB ETLJOB

ENDJOB

I think this is not a simple question, you may want to open a support case to address it.

Hope this helps,

Lucy

• 5.  Re: Automating batch triggering and monitor of jobs using any Java library

Posted Jun 13, 2017 11:36 AM

Thanks Lucy.. I will check with my team on the availability of this agents but I have a feeling that my team doesn't have the access for these agents.. Don't we have any other way to trigger the jobs without the help of agents or ca wa workstation?