VM

View Only
  • 1.  New Cross-Product Command Quick Reference

Posted Mar 22, 2016 01:08 PM

Dear VMers,

Some of you mentioned that you were still using a quick reference of command syntax diagrams from the 1990s. I told you we would try to re-create it on the wiki.

Well, it is available now, as one of the sections in the CA VM:Manager™ Suite common documentation.

EDIT: Apologies as I somehow failed to realize that the Export to Word function described in the tip below is not available in Viewport. I have requested this function. In the meantime, Viewport is disabled for this space, so the tip applies.

You can generate your own customized offline documentation based on the products you use. Each product has all its commands on one page (except CA VM:Secure/CA VM:Director, which has a subpage for the ENTRY subcommands). Export the pages you want to Word, and you have a doc set that you can annotate yourself! To export a page, use the Tools menu, via the three dots above the PDF download button in the top right.

Tools-menu.PNG

Message was edited by: Jeffrey Rubinoff

• 2.  Re: New Cross-Product Command Quick Reference

Posted Apr 06, 2016 02:07 PM

I have to say I was so excited; then so disappointed.   A 250 page manual with lots of white space isn't really a "quick reference" to me...   A quick reference to me is small and just shows me the format(s) of the commands...   More along the lines of the old IBM quick reference cards like http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/370/referenceCard/GX20-0406-0_Enterprise_Systems_Architecture_370_Reference_S…   The more it gets like a book with wide margins, lots of white space and lots of pages, the more likely I am to just use the regular command reference manual...

Just my two cents....

Lee

• 3.  Re: New Cross-Product Command Quick Reference

Posted Apr 09, 2016 10:13 AM

Lee,

I am afraid that the authoring infrastructure is not designed with quick reference cards in mind, and it is insufficiently flexible for what you request. This was my best attempt using the tools at hand to reproduce the mid-1990s command quick reference. I suggest you follow the tip at the beginning of the Command Quick Reference section and create Word files for those products you actually use. You can then customize those files as much as you want.

I should soon have access to a tool that will at least allow me to create a PDF of the Command Reference subsection of the CA VM:Manager Suite doc, so it will be only 50-odd pages instead of 250.