View/Deliver

View Only
  • 1.  Deliver destination options

Posted Jun 10, 2013 11:13 AM
    We have a process whereby AFP files created on an IBM i-series are APPC'd to CA-Deliver (running on a z-series), archived in CA-View and then shipped to an IBM JES queue for physical printing. The physical location of the printing is changing so we need to transfer the output to the new location and we are hoping to use Connect:Direct. Although C:D CAN access the JES queue directly we do not have the necessary component installed so we are briefly looking for other options before we put our hands in our pockets! One such option would be if CA-Deliver could output a flat file/data set (in addition to the CA-View destination) that could then be picked up by C:D.

Can you tell me if such an option exists or if there is a better/smarter way of doing this? We're on v 11.0.

Many thanks

• 2.  RE: Deliver destination options

Posted Jul 01, 2013 07:48 PM
    Hi All,

Any thoughts here for Phil?

Thanks!
    Chris

phil_vatter wrote:

We have a process whereby AFP files created on an IBM i-series are APPC'd to CA-Deliver (running on a z-series), archived in CA-View and then shipped to an IBM JES queue for physical printing. The physical location of the printing is changing so we need to transfer the output to the new location and we are hoping to use Connect:Direct. Although C:D CAN access the JES queue directly we do not have the necessary component installed so we are briefly looking for other options before we put our hands in our pockets! One such option would be if CA-Deliver could output a flat file/data set (in addition to the CA-View destination) that could then be picked up by C:D.

Can you tell me if such an option exists or if there is a better/smarter way of doing this? We're on v 11.0.

Many thanks

• 3.  RE: Deliver destination options

Posted Jul 02, 2013 04:37 AM
    Hi Phil and Chris,
    On the z-series; do you have either of CA Spool or CA XCOM? Or if not, perhaps it is worth seeing whether either of these compare favorably on price.

In my opinion CA Spool is the easier of these to configure for this purpose. It can collect the sysout from CA Deliver pre-JES or post-JES and then onward 'print' to dataset/GDG or to USS file or via FTP/XCOM/Connect Direct to an off-host location. The final destination for the sysout can be configured into CA Spool print queues or alternately you could use a generic print queue and have the CA Deliver configurations tell it dynamically where to send the file (e.g. specifying path and filename via an Output Address from the Bundle JCL cards or via variables within a customized banner page).
    With best regards from,
    Chris

• 4.  RE: Deliver destination options

Posted Jul 02, 2013 05:23 AM
    Hi Phil and Chris,
    On the z-series; do you have either of CA Spool or CA XCOM? Or if not, perhaps it is worth seeing whether either of these compare favorably on price.

In my opinion CA Spool is the easier of these to configure for this purpose. It can collect the sysout from CA Deliver pre-JES or post-JES and then onward 'print' to dataset/GDG or to USS file or via FTP/XCOM/Connect Direct to an off-host location. The final destination for the sysout can be configured into CA Spool print queues or alternately you could use a generic print queue and have the CA Deliver configurations tell it dynamically where to send the file (e.g. specifying path and filename via an Output Address from the Bundle JCL cards or via variables within a customized banner page).
    With best regards from,
    Chris

• 5.  RE: Deliver destination options

Posted Jul 02, 2013 05:46 AM
    Unfortunately not, that was the missing component I was referring to! However, since I posted we have obtained some assistance from CA Technical Support (Andy Lewis@CA.com) and we think we may have some SARBCH JCL statements we can add to the CA-View batch to output a flat file in parallel to the CA-View archive.
    Please keep the suggestions coming though, just in case this option doesn't work out.