Endevor

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Does endevore saves changed code with STATS ON, asking this because our production code library which is updated via endevor is not showing Member Size, Created Date, Changed Date and ID values against member list, is there any way in endevor to save chan

• 1.  Does endevore saves changed code with STATS ON, asking this because our production code library which is updated via endevor is not showing Member Size, Created Date, Changed Date and ID values against member list, is there any way in endevor to save chan

Posted Aug 30, 2018 03:11 AM

Does endevore saves changed code with STATS ON, asking this because our production code library which is updated via endevor is not showing Member Size, Created Date, Changed Date and ID values against member list, is there any way in endevor to save changed code with STATS ON ?

• 2.  Re: Does endevore saves changed code with STATS ON, asking this because our production code library which is updated via endevor is not showing Member Size, Created Date, Changed Date and ID values against member list, is there any way in endevor to save
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 30, 2018 08:45 AM

No it does not.... 

If you want to see that kind of information, DISPLAY FOOTPRINT for the library from within Endevor. 

And you do understand that ISPF STATS are kind of unreliable (as in dangerous to rely on)? A simple command can reset those stats to zero....

• 3.  Re: Does endevore saves changed code with STATS ON, asking this because our production code library which is updated via endevor is not showing Member Size, Created Date, Changed Date and ID values against member list, is there any way in endevor to save

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 30, 2018 09:06 AM

To add to the above. ISPF stats exist in the PDS/PDSE directory space. This is the same place that the Endevor footprint exists. So if you add ISPF stats to a member you will wipe out the footprint.

The Endevor footprint is more reliable as it is encrypted so can only be update/add through an Endevor process. ISPF stats are not encrypted and  as John said can be changed/deleted/add through ISPF commands.

• 4.  Re: Does endevore saves changed code with STATS ON, asking this because our production code library which is updated via endevor is not showing Member Size, Created Date, Changed Date and ID values against member list, is there any way in endevor to save

Posted Aug 30, 2018 10:02 AM

Hi,

We (Wells Fargo) have had a customization in place for years that does add the stats to the remote production libraries during a ship that does NOT touch the Endevor footprints.  We simply add stats to the staging libraries that are to be NDM'd to the remote site and the stats are applied automatically to Non-Load elements when they are copied in the remote ship job.  The Footprints in Endevor remain in tact.  I find having them very helpful in certain situations and have argued with CA in the past that they should be included as a part of the product.  You should not have to choose between footprints and stats.

Janet Spears

• 5.  Re: Does endevore saves changed code with STATS ON, asking this because our production code library which is updated via endevor is not showing Member Size, Created Date, Changed Date and ID values against member list, is there any way in endevor to save

Posted Aug 31, 2018 12:57 AM

Hi Janet... I don't want to hijack this thread but I reckon I saw your name popup in numerous past discussions around USS/JAVA migration. Just recently started at IBM (ISPW (mainly) & ENDEVOR support) and looks like some companies we support are investigating USS migration using ENDEVOR. Am wondering if you would be willing to share your ENDEVOR processor(s) for this and other details to give me a head start on a way to tackle this. Regards Steven (sdwalter@au1.ibm.com)

• 6.  Re: Does endevore saves changed code with STATS ON, asking this because our production code library which is updated via endevor is not showing Member Size, Created Date, Changed Date and ID values against member list, is there any way in endevor to save

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 30, 2018 10:39 AM

Yes I agree the ISPF stats would be help full. To have both would not be possible technically. 

As I said the ISPF stats and footprints are applied to the directory space. As per my memory. Each member(non load) has a directory entry. It has the TTR (this is the physical start of the member) I think another for the length or end. Then a entry for the length of the directory entry for this member. The ISPF stats entry has a specific length. Endevor's footprint  has a different length. ISPF edit/browse etc will read member names and look for the specific length of the ISPF stats. If it doesn't see that length it will assume that no stats exist or they are invalid stats.

So we can't add to the end of the ISPF stats directory that will change the length. We want to use the directory space as this will change when ever a update is done to the member.

May I suggest a alternative to ISPF stats.  Open a communities IDEA for a method to show the Endevor footprints while the user is in member list with ISPF Browse/Edit.  

• 7.  Re: Does endevore saves changed code with STATS ON, asking this because our production code library which is updated via endevor is not showing Member Size, Created Date, Changed Date and ID values against member list, is there any way in endevor to save

Posted Aug 30, 2018 11:19 AM

Something just occurred to me, Janet....

You aren't perchance using CA-PDSMAN and EZYEDIT, are you? If I remember correctly, those products had the ability to read Endevor footprints and display them "like" ISPF STATS in an EZYEDIT list. Is it possible you're using the product and didn't know it?