Endevor

View Only
  • 1.  COBOL Endevor Exits

Posted Aug 07, 2015 05:00 PM

If you have COBOL Endevor Exits in a PDS loadlib, you'll have to convert the PDS loadlib to PDS/e as part of your COBOL 5 rollout.

• 2.  Re: COBOL Endevor Exits

Posted Aug 08, 2015 04:53 PM

I may be mistaken but isn't it true that anyone who still has AMODE 24 has to convert those as well?

• 3.  Re: COBOL Endevor Exits

Posted Aug 13, 2015 09:27 AM

Good question Russ.  Can anyone help with a response?

• 4.  Re: COBOL Endevor Exits

Posted Aug 13, 2015 01:06 PM

Phil,

After I got your email this morning I decided to take a page out of one of your suggestion at the AppDev conference.

So I goggled "Cobol 5 AMODE 24" and got this LinkedIn hit.

Migrating to COBOL 5 - A real pain in the a.. ?
    Just visited the GSE Nordic conference and was listening to Tom Ross announcing the new COBOL 5 compiler.
    Seems to be quite a challenge migrating from 4.x to version 5 since the compiler has been completely rewritten
    and no longer supports load modules in PDS (requires PDS/E) and cannot co-exist with AMODE 24 programs.
    Also, the compile time would be some 5-15 times longer!

The last statement indicates that everyone who does a generate from stage to stage
    is going to need to rethink code migration.
    To me a regen at each stage is the way to go but I know some shop do it.

• 5.  Re: COBOL Endevor Exits

Posted Aug 13, 2015 01:48 PM

Hi Russ,

I am not sure how old this GSE presentation is but my storage guys tell me there are some settings in Z/os that need amending for PDS/e sharing

Search "pdse sharing in a sysplex"

Stuart

• 6.  Re: COBOL Endevor Exits

Posted Aug 14, 2015 04:41 AM

Stuart

I did as you suggested and googled it. IBM has specific instruction on their website for performing the change.

Personally, I think if this what is needed for COBOL 5.2 to function properly IBM should make it the rule when a client implements the COBOL, but that's me.

Thanks to your and storage guys for the updates. I wish my storage guys were as up-to-date.

I previously asked about AMODE 24. Just a few minutes ago I pulled up a presentation from the SHARE conference in ORLANDO. The presentation is called COBOL 5.2 What's New?

One of the answers is, due to basically an OUTCRY from customers,

AMODE 24 support

– AMODE 24 mode execution now allowed in the same cases as V3 and V4

• Static linking to AMODE 24 assembler programs the big driver here.