Gen EDGE

View Only
  • 1.  Batch processing in .NET using Gen

Posted Feb 11, 2022 10:32 AM
    We are needing to generate batch jobs targeting .NET using Gen.   I'm not finding anything in the Gen documentation about how to do that but maybe I'm just missing it.  In fact there is very little about using Gen for batch that I can find.  It's all geared towards distributed online client/server type processing.    Is it possible to generate C# code from Gen which runs in the .NET framework but not under Component Services (so not server code) ?    If so, how is that done?  If not, is there a way to mimic batch jobs / runs in .NET using code generated from Gen ?   If there are any documents or papers that can be shared which discuss how to do this, that would be appreciated.

------------------------------
    Thanks

• 2.  RE: Batch processing in .NET using Gen
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 13, 2022 05:28 PM
    Edited by Lenn Thompson Mar 15, 2022 01:34 PM

Hi Stacy,
    This thread from 2020 might be useful for you: Mainframe Re-Platform

The options seem to be:
     - Use online/"no display" Gen C load module (Gen for .NET/C# does not have that option, as you probably know)
     - Use a hand-crafted C# program which uses Gen .NET proxy to call Gen .NET server, and run it in "batch".

Hope it helps

Regards,

Lynn

Lynn Williams
    Senior Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom Software
    Australia

• 3.  RE: Batch processing in .NET using Gen

Posted Feb 15, 2022 03:55 PM
    Thanks Lynn.  Also the link to the prior thread was very helpful.    Since I know I will be asked by people here where I work ..... Do you know why Gen only supports generating a batch packaged Procedure / Step for COBOL on the mainframe?   Is there a technical reason why it's not supported in other environments ...... specifically windows and .NET for the shop where I'm at ?

Thanks

• 4.  RE: Batch processing in .NET using Gen

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 15, 2022 05:44 PM
    Hi Stacy,
    I think it mainly relates to the historical development of Gen/IEF and original IEF block mode applications for which COBOL and C were the languages.
    BATCH was created purely for COBOL/Mainframe JES.
    For distributed platforms using C the "online no display" property for a PStep effectively enabled the same type of background execution (can be used with Unix/Linux cron or Windows Task Scheduler etc)
    When support for Java and C#/.NET was introduced, they were envisaged as client/server applications and the requirement for "batch" was probably never considered. Since then there has probably never been enough user demand/idea creation for a "batch" option and there are ways to workaround the limitation per above using a Gen proxy to call a Gen server. The latter can be done in an asynchronous mode (Synchronous vs. Asynchronous Processing) to provide an unattended execution mechanism i.e. batch. 

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Lynn

Lynn Williams
    Senior Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom Software
    Australia