Gen EDGE

View Only
  • 1.  I need documentation on how to upgrade from 8.0 to 8.5 on the mainframe.

Posted Feb 19, 2016 11:39 AM

I need clear and concise documentation on how to upgrade mainframe from 8.0 to 8.5.

• 2.  Re: I need documentation on how to upgrade from 8.0 to 8.5 on the mainframe.

Posted Feb 19, 2016 12:13 PM

Hi Angela,

For what CA product are you referring to that you need documentation to upgrade mainframe from 8.0 to 8.5?

Regard,

Helen Biederbeck

CA Support Delivery Manager

• 3.  Re: I need documentation on how to upgrade from 8.0 to 8.5 on the mainframe.

Posted Feb 19, 2016 12:21 PM

Specific documentation to upgrade CA Gen 8.0 to 8.5, after the Encyclopedia has been upgraded.  Documentation as to what else is required.

Angela Earl

Office of Administration

Information Technology Services Division

Department of Labor and Industrial Relations

AngelaEarl@oa.mo.gov<mailto:Angel.gretlein@oa.mo.gov>

<http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://townsoftheusa.com/images/Seal_MO.jpg&imgrefurl=http://townsoftheusa.com/Missouri/Missouri.html&h=288&w=289&sz=99&tbnid=ACoDFA4kusu20M:&tbnh=115&tbnw=115&prev=/images?q=MIssouriStateSeal&hl=en&usg=__BoXZmBS5my_svC-KXrEwrvukAAU=&sa=X&ei=lwtjTIX9K4GRjAfm5amgCQ&ved=0CCEQ9QEwAw>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message including attachments, if any, is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, or an agent for the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

• 4.  Re: I need documentation on how to upgrade from 8.0 to 8.5 on the mainframe.

Posted Feb 19, 2016 12:46 PM

Hi Angela,

I found the below links to the doc for CA Gen.  I'm going to send your question over to the CA Gen Edge user community where they can help you further.

To access the CA Gen 8.5 bookshelf, click https://support.ca.com/cadocs/0/CA%20Gen%208%205-ENU/Bookshelf.html

To access the CA Gen r8 bookshelf, click https://support.ca.com/cadocs/1/CA%20Gen%208%200-ENU/Bookshelf.html

Kind Regards,

Helen

• 5.  Re: I need documentation on how to upgrade from 8.0 to 8.5 on the mainframe.

Posted Feb 19, 2016 04:00 PM

Hi Angela,

Further to Helen's responses, I would also suggest you review the technical pre-requisites documentation for CA Gen 8.5 and make sure the z/OS server where the HE to be upgraded conforms to the minimum relevant system software levels: z/OS, DB2, COBOL, CICS, IMS etc. before proceeding. Similar checks should be carried out if your end-z/OS server applications target different LPARs to the one containing the HE.

You should also conduct similar assessments for the co-requisite requirement of making CA Gen 8.5 workstation toolsets available to all the CA Gen application development projects that will be using the new CA Gen 8.5 release - particularly if those applications are client/server or have any specifically non-z/OS components that also have to be supported at the new CA Gen 8.5 level.

All that aside, a CA Gen HE upgrade is normally achieved via what CA call an 'upgrade in place' whereby the new version can be installed while the old, working 'live', version is retained - useful for transition/acceptance testing or if you have a number of CA Gen applications and their upgrade path, to the latest release, cannot occur simultaneously. Once the latest version is available, a new logon procedure allows access to the new CA Gen release, and application teams can then use the standard model conversion utilities to upgrade their models to utilise the latest software, including the associated workstation toolset. CA Gen 8 and 8.5 share the same 9.2.A6 schema level, however, and so no model conversion is necessary in your specific case.

The CA Gen 8.5 release notes does refer to the 'upgrade in place' approach and its implications under the z/OS installations section. The z/OS installation guide covers the specifics about how to go about performing an upgrade itself, either via CA's MSM or using the more traditional SMP/E. Please also make sure you apply all the latest software maintenance available and relevant to your site (both z/OS and workstation)

Hope that helps further still...

• 6.  Re: I need documentation on how to upgrade from 8.0 to 8.5 on the mainframe.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 19, 2016 05:48 PM

Hello Angela,

The CA Gen 8.5 Host Installation guide has everything you need to know about upgrading.  I'll list some pointers.  If you have specific questions about your environment, please open a helpdesk issue so that your questions can be answered.

1.  Read the Release Notes for the environment and platform at your site.  It will describe changes and new features from Gen 8.0 to 8.5.

2.  Make sure your 3rd party products are supported by reviewing the Gen 8.5 Technical Requirements.

3.  The Installation guide has instructions for using CSM or SAMPJCL to unload the Host software.  You will need an SMP/E Admin to do these functions but since you have Gen 8.0, the process has not changed.

4.  After unloading the software, apply all maintenance before deployment to user libs.

5.  You have the option to upgrade in-place or create a new encyclopedia.  There is a chapter on each option in the Install guide.  I recommend up-grade in-place but again this is your choice.

6.  Process the TSO %CEINSTAL options to build your SQL, JCL, and PARMLIB libraries.  These libs must be pre-allocated and this is stated in the Install guide.

7.  The Install guide will direct you on the CEJOBs to run coming from Gen 8.0 to 8.5.  When this process is complete, the upgrade is complete.

8.  Gen 8.0 is upwardly compatible to Gen 8.5.  For the Host, you must reinstall ALL previously modified user exits.  The existing application software does not need to be regenerated or installed.  If you will began to use or change middleware, please open a helpdesk issue with your questions and/or concerns.

Again, for specific questions about your environment, please open a helpdesk issue.  If you are using a different platform other than z/OS, please state that on the communities site or open a helpdesk issue.

Thanks and Regards,

Letha Johnson

CA Gen Principal Support Engineer

• 7.  Re: I need documentation on how to upgrade from 8.0 to 8.5 on the mainframe.

Posted Mar 01, 2016 01:44 AM

Hi Angela,

I hope the above responses helped answer your query. Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Kalpana