OPS/MVS

View Only
  • 1.  Using WRITETBL/READTBL in Batch

Posted Aug 18, 2016 10:58 AM

I need to create a complete backup of all of my RDF tables.  I currently use DFDSS as a safety net.

I was wondering if there is a sample batch job that could be used with WRITETBL and READTBL functions?

This would provide one more layer of safety when doing RDF Table changes and product upgrades.

Thanks

Lizette

• 2.  Re: Using WRITETBL/READTBL in Batch
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 18, 2016 11:10 AM

Lizette,

Look at OPSSGVBK and OPSSGVRS in OPS.CNTL dataset,  also there is some good documentation on it in docops.

If you have any question let me know.

• 3.  Re: Using WRITETBL/READTBL in Batch

Posted Aug 18, 2016 11:14 AM

I have read the manual and I got interested in using the WRITETBL/READTBL outside of OPSSGVBK

OI WRITETBL TABLE(xxxxx) dsname(YYY) in batch.

Lizette

• 4.  Re: Using WRITETBL/READTBL in Batch

Posted Aug 25, 2016 04:58 PM

I am using WRITETBL in batch, well sort of. I had slightly grandiose requirements for my RDF table backup. Amazingly self imposed too. My requirements were to do an RDF table back up through WRITETBL as well as create a readable version that we could also compare for changes and then alert us if any changes had been made. I was able to accomplish most of this with a REXX which I then run from batch. Another option is to rely on the SYSCHK1 backup. If you set this up in CA-OPS it will backup all of your RDF tables as well since SYSCHK1 is where they are stored. The down side to this method is that in order to restore the RDF table, you would have to restore the entire SYSCHK1 data set as well. This may not be the best idea if you need to roll back a couple days but it would be something to keep in mind if you needed to roll back less than a day.