OPS/MVS

View Only
  • 1.  AOF Auto-Enable

Posted May 12, 2016 12:03 PM

If I set or reset auto-enable for a rule on one lpar in a plex it sets or resets it on the other lpars in the plex as well.  Is there a way to prevent that?  I looked in the docs and didn't see anythng that addressed it but I may have missed it.  I know I can code around the problem and only allow the rules to be enabled on certain lpars but I was wondering if there was a better solution.  Thanks.

• 2.  Re: AOF Auto-Enable

Posted May 12, 2016 03:03 PM

Hello Rick,

If the rule set PDS dataset where your rules currently resides are on shared DASD across the systems that are member of your Sysplex complex, and your CA OPS/MVS instances are setup to use the same Rule Set dataset, then this is expected to happen. Automation, in the form of rules, can be used to fire upon message OPS4320H when commands SETAUTO and RESETAUTO are performed so notifications and actions can be taken to assure the correct setting is set for any given rule.

Hope this helps confirm your observations and share with us how you are planning to control it in case you have a different idea.

Regards, Cresar

• 3.  Re: AOF Auto-Enable

Posted May 13, 2016 08:55 AM

Thanks Cesar.

So far this has only been a problem on our test plex, we have four systems that share the same DASD.  They are IPL’ed quite frequently so if I want to let a new rule soak on only one or two of the systems I have issues controlling whether they come up enabled or disabled.  Auto-enable can only be set one way on all four systems.  My plan during testing is to enable and auto-enable the rule on all four systems and add code to check the system id to ensure they only execute on the systems I want.

Something simple like this at the beginning of the rule:

SYSID = OPSINFO('SMFID')      /* GET SYSTEM ID */            

IF SYSID <> 'SYS1'     /* CHECK FOR CORRECT SYSTEM  */                                        

THEN RETURN ‘REJECT’     /* IF NOT CORRECT SYSTEM THEN GET OUT  */

• 4.  Re: AOF Auto-Enable

Posted May 13, 2016 09:47 AM

You're welcome Chris

The code you are planning to use in the )INIT section looks good to me. Some of our clients who share Rule Sets across systems do prefer to use the logic above to control theirs rules. Code executes only once at OPSMAIN initial startup. It also fires if the rules is changed and then enabled. As you are probably fully aware it pretty much determines if the rule should be enabled on a given system or remain disabled for the duration of the IPL.

If you have more questions around this subject feel free to cut a ticket so we can provide you with further assistance if needed.

Regards, Cesar