OPS/MVS

View Only
  • 1.  Is there a built-in function that will prevent a command from being entered x times within a specified time interval?

Posted Mar 27, 2017 11:40 AM

Hello,

I am in the process of converting an Automate/MVS rule that uses a keyword called EVERY. From my understanding, the EVERY keyword was used to control how often a rule executes after the first time. (e.g. Only allow a rule to issue a command once every 30 seconds).

I am wondering if there is a built-in function for OPS/MVS that will do the same thing? I know that there is the OPSTHRSH but that only appears to be for MSG, API, and USS events. If there is not a built-in function, does anyone know an easy and efficient way to code this scenario? Global variables may be one way but are there any others?

Thank you!

Aaron Davidson

• 2.  Re: Is there a built-in function that will prevent a command from being entered x times within a specified time interval?
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 27, 2017 12:47 PM

Hello Aaron,

The OPSTHRSH function, first introduced in release 12.2, can be used from AOF CMD type rules as well.

Just give it a try using the sample we provide in the books adjusted as a CMD rule and function worked like a charm.

Let us know if you need more help after you give this function a try for your automation needs.

Regards, Cesar

Note: Aaron, since you are in a quest of converting Automate/MVS rules you might want to take a look at release 12.3 PTF RO89955.  

• 3.  Re: Is there a built-in function that will prevent a command from being entered x times within a specified time interval?

Posted Mar 28, 2017 09:35 AM

Hi Cesar,

Thank you for your response. I was able to use the OPSTHRSH function with my CMD rule using option 'E'. 

I also reviewed PTF R089955. I do not have the PTF applied but I believe that I already have that REXX program. David Gorisek gave me a REXX program a year or so ago that does the same thing that is described the PTF description. I can say it a nice program.

Again thank you for your response and for the suggested PTF.

Aaron Davidson

• 4.  Re: Is there a built-in function that will prevent a command from being entered x times within a specified time interval?

Posted Mar 27, 2017 03:25 PM

I had no idea that there were still Automate/MVS (Legent days) rules still around and working! 

• 5.  Re: Is there a built-in function that will prevent a command from being entered x times within a specified time interval?

Posted Mar 28, 2017 09:42 AM

The Automate/MVS rules are actually ran through a translator that translates them into OPS/MVS language but yet in a way that makes the rules execute like they did in Automate.

• 6.  Re: Is there a built-in function that will prevent a command from being entered x times within a specified time interval?

Posted Mar 28, 2017 09:46 AM

You're welcome Aaron

Cesar