OPS/MVS

View Only
  • 1.  Can CA/OPS pick up a variable in a MSG rule and pass it to some form to be used in an e-mail ?

Posted Mar 24, 2017 01:39 PM

Would like to have CA OPS/MVS capture the variable in a standardized message, and send an e-mail message to the appropriate group of folks, based on what that variable is. Can anyone point me in the right direction to do that ? I'm good with capturing the variable part already, it's passing that variable somewhere so it can be picked up to be included in the e-mail message that I could use a little help with.

• 2.  Re: Can CA/OPS pick up a variable in a MSG rule and pass it to some form to be used in an e-mail ?
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 24, 2017 01:53 PM

Hello Michael,

When time permits today please consider reviewing sample OPS/REXX program CCLXSAMP(EMAILMSG).

In the documentation section of the program you have information how to call this OPS/REXX code from a AOF rule and pass the required arguments via the Address OSF statement. Global Variables are used to pass certain values and you can use them to pass the data you need.

In case you want to learn more about Global Variables this URL link is a good starting point:

https://docops.ca.com/coema130/using/using-ca-ops-mvs/using-global-variables

Hope all this information helps you achieve your automation objectives.

Regards, Cesar

• 3.  Re: Can CA/OPS pick up a variable in a MSG rule and pass it to some form to be used in an e-mail ?

Posted Mar 24, 2017 02:58 PM

Thanks Cesar, This looks like exactly what I was looking for.

• 4.  Re: Can CA/OPS pick up a variable in a MSG rule and pass it to some form to be used in an e-mail ?

Posted Mar 24, 2017 03:02 PM

Sounds good Michael

If you need more help do not ever hesitate to either update this thread or open a Customer Support Ticket.

Either way we have you covered.

Have a great weekend in case I do not hear from you the rest of the day.

Regards, Cesar

• 5.  Re: Can CA/OPS pick up a variable in a MSG rule and pass it to some form to be used in an e-mail ?

Posted Mar 31, 2017 01:53 PM

Hi Cesar,

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of that sample EMAILMSG REXX routine. I have now coded up my MSG rule and tested it using the CA/OPS Testing facility, and I now have it cleaned up to the point where it calls the EMAILMSG routine, but unfortunately when my MSG rule makes the call, nothing happens, even though I know that the e-mail address that I am passing is good, and to me it looks like I've coded all of my setup to be the same as what's coded in the IEA611I sample that's identified as the model to follow.

Do you have any suggestions on how I can try and trace what happens when the EMAILMSG REXX is executed ? I did set TRACE to ALL in EMAILMSG, but when I use the OPS/MVS testing facility, it all ends at the call to EMAILMSG, with no other messages.

Any ideas how to debug this further ?

Thanks,

Mike

• 6.  Re: Can CA/OPS pick up a variable in a MSG rule and pass it to some form to be used in an e-mail ?

Posted Mar 31, 2017 01:58 PM

Hello Mike,

What we can do is trace the OPS/REXX code using the TRACE I statement to make sure all the arguments are passed correctly and used properly. The trace messages will be placed in the OPSLOG you can send use in Archive and Terse format so we can look at how the sample code is working for you. For all this I think it will be a good idea if you cut a new issue so the documents can be sent to us in the proper format. Let me know if this sounds good for you today.

Regards, Cesar