OPS/MVS

View Only
  • 1.  If a Call is made from a Rule does the Call procedure get complied and stored?

Posted Sep 26, 2016 11:11 AM

Last week I updated a REXX that is called from a TOD rule, I did not disable and enable the rule.  This weekend when the TOD ran the updates were not executed. My question is, does a called REXX routine get compiled when the rule is initially enabled?

TOD Rule

)TOD  SATURDAY 22:00:02,WEEK ,                                         
    )INIT                                                                  
    )PROC                                                                  

/* This TOD rule will remind the operators it's time to shutdown the  */
    /* IMS regions. It will give the operators a chance to make choices   */
    /* as to which IMS regions should come down. In addition all tasks    */
    /* dependent on the IMS region will come down.                        */

call pimsy                                                             
    exit                                                                   

Called REXX:

Options "NOMAXCLAUSES NOMAXTIME NOMAXSAYS NOMAXCMDS NOMAXSTRING"      

do until goodreply = 'YES'                                            
       replytext = 'Do you want to shutdown IMS00Y and its CICSs (YES,NO)?'
           address WTO "Text('"replytext"') Msgid(OPSNOTIFY) Wait(60)",   
                       "Route(2) Reply Hilite"                            

pull edq                                                           
       parse var edq . reply                                              
       if reply = 'YES' | reply = 'NO' then goodreply = 'YES'             

end                                                                   
    if reply = 'YES' then do                                              
       address OSF "OI STATESET" CICSZ041 "DESIRED(DOWN)"                 
       address OSF "OI STATESET" CICSZ046 "DESIRED(DOWN)"                 
       address OSF "OI STATESET" CICSZ051 "DESIRED(DOWN)"                 
       address OSF "OI STATESET" CICSA760 "DESIRED(DOWN)"              New-did not execute   
       address OSF "OI STATESET" CICSA761 "DESIRED(DOWN)"              New-did not execute   

"                    "                        "                            "                         "

"                    "                        "                            "                         "

• 2.  Re: If a Call is made from a Rule does the Call procedure get complied and stored?
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 26, 2016 11:20 AM

if you access a rexx from a rule as a CALL or as a function, it is compiled into the rule.  If you change the REXX, you need to disable/reenable the rule to pick it up.  If the REXX you are calling from the rule is not something you are waiting on a response on, then best bet is to send it to a server to run ADDRESS OSF OI rexxxname.  If you send it to a server, it will capture the latest code in your rexx.   A good practice may be... if you have a REXX that is called by a rule, have comments in your REXX that say something like:  "IF THIS REXX IS CHANGED, REENABLE THE FOLLOWING RULES"  If someone has a better way to keep track of the rules that need to be reenabled, I would love to know how you do it because my method requires you to keep up with comments.

Sal

• 3.  Re: If a Call is made from a Rule does the Call procedure get complied and stored?

Posted Sep 26, 2016 11:48 AM

Thanks Sal, that makes me feel better. This is an inherited process, I would need to go change a bunch of rules to get rid of the calls.

And yes if someone has a way of identifying what rules CALL a REXX routine that would be handy.

• 4.  Re: If a Call is made from a Rule does the Call procedure get complied and stored?

Posted Oct 07, 2016 09:00 AM

In this case you're putting out a reply inline in a TOD rule which is not a good idea: The reply will hold up all other TOD rules from executing until replied!

Note that in a future release of OPS/MVS this (until now allowed) wait will be removed, as it is in most other AOF rules.

So you will have to recode to put it on a server anyway in due time.

• 5.  Re: If a Call is made from a Rule does the Call procedure get complied and stored?

Posted Oct 07, 2016 09:53 AM

Hello Chris,

What Marcel is discussing in his last update is described in the following KD document:

http://www.ca.com/us/services-support/ca-support/ca-support-online/knowledge-base-articles.tec1746277.html

As of today there is no information as to what release of CA OPS/MVS will be implementing this announced and documented product modification.

Thanks Marcel for bringing this subject to the attention of Chris and the rest of the community as well.

Regards, Cesar