OPS/MVS

View Only
  • 1.  Stateman TYPE Column Clarification

Posted Jul 13, 2015 01:26 PM

In the STATEMAN STCTBL which was originally created by SNAPSHOT there is a column for TYPE. Is this something specific or can the user define the type as anything they want? The reason I ask this is that we had an issue with a particualr task not starting, or at least not setting its state. This task originally had a TYPE defined by us but after we changed it to a type of STC everything worked. We did not change anything in the rules, just the TYPE. I would like to use the TYPE column to classify some resources, CISC regions for example, so I can start/stop just based on type.

• 2.  Re: Stateman TYPE Column Clarification

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 13, 2015 03:57 PM

Hi Travi,

The “TYPE” column of the SSM resource table can be used to group together similar resources. This way you can perform actions against the entire group instead of an individual resource. It can be any string but keep in mind the type of a resource is used in the process of the selection of actions from the action table when a resource state change occurs. The matching of the TYPE column of the resource table with the ACTION_RES_TYPE column of the action table is part of the criteria used during this process.

Please, review the section “Evaluating Resource State Change Events” of the CA OPS User Guide, Chapter 7: Using System State Manager for a complete description of the action selection process.

Regards,

Mario

• 3.  Re: Stateman TYPE Column Clarification
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 13, 2015 04:32 PM

Carlos Mario Silveira Filho wrote:

Hi Travi,

The “TYPE” column of the SSM resource table can be used to group together similar resources. This way you can perform actions against the entire group instead of an individual resource. It can be any string but keep in mind the type of a resource is used in the process of the selection of actions from the action table when a resource state change occurs. The matching of the TYPE column of the resource table with the ACTION_RES_TYPE column of the action table is part of the criteria used during this process.

Please, review the section “Evaluating Resource State Change Events” of the CA OPS User Guide, Chapter 7: Using System State Manager for a complete description of the action selection process.

Regards,

Mario

So I reread the section I believe I found my issue:

From the User Guide:

"...The score assigned to this type of action is 29 or 30, depending on whether the value of the NAME column or the value of the TYPE column matched the value of the ACTION_RES_TYPE column. Only one of these columns can match the ACTION_RES_TYPE column, not both. ...

...As mentioned above, the ACTION_RES_TYPE column is evaluated once against the NAME column and once against the TYPE column to see if a match occurs. If the value of the NAME column matches the value of the ACTION_RES_TYPE column, then a value of 2 is added to the action score. The TYPE column is an optional column in the resource definition. If it is present and if its value matches that of the ACTION_RES_TYPE column, then a value of 1 is added to the action score."

So for the resource I had mentioned in my original post, its TYPE actually did match something in the Action Table but what it matched did not have an action associated with it and thus the resource did not come up or go down. In addition, this resource used a standard start and stop command so there was no ACTION_RES_TYPE that matched its name either. Thus, it tried to match a name and failed, tried to match a type and succeeded but since there was no action defined, it did nothing. So, when we changed the TYPE of this resource neither the name nor the resource type matched anything in the action table and thus it defaulted to the basic start and stop commands.