OPS/MVS

View Only
  • 1.  OPSTATUS and USS Tasks

Posted Sep 09, 2015 02:46 PM

I am attempting to check on users that are spawning USS tasks (ex: for SFTP, SSH sessions). I was using OPSTATUS to pull all the tasks and can identify all the USS related tasks. However I am having trouble excluding only the user generated tasks versus the ones generated by legitimate tasks, SYSLOGD, SSHD, etc. Is there something I can key in on that would let me filter these tasks out?

Options that have failed and why:

1. Checking the user ID. All of our user ID's start with certain prefixes. Unfortunately some of those are just 1 letter and thus can easily be matched to a STC user ID.

2. Checking the job name doesn't really get us anything because there is nothing unique to filter on. For all intents and purposes the job names are random.

3. Checking for an active TSO user ID based on the ID of the task. This had promised but failed because a user does not need to be logged in to TSO to use say SFTP and thus would not have an active TSO user ID.

PLAN B:

Use a list of task names that I will exclude from the list as I run through it. Not opposed to using this method if it is all I have but I'd like to get away from it as the project I am working on used a list like this and it needed constant maintenance. I'd like to have something that is as maintenance free as possible.

Side Note:

If there IS a way to identify these tasks that CA-OPS could get to, this would be very helpful to add to the ASID returned by OPSTATUS in the EDQ.

• 2.  Re: OPSTATUS and USS Tasks

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 09, 2015 05:03 PM

Hi Travi,

Wouldn't the workload service class help to identify user tasks? The subfunction W of OPSTATUS can be used to display Workload Manager information about the tasks. They are probably different from the system tasks. I don't know what is the syntax you are using but it would something like: OPSTATUS('A','W','*')

Regards,

Mario

• 3.  Re: OPSTATUS and USS Tasks

Posted Sep 09, 2015 05:13 PM

Unfortunately this fairs no better. All of the tasks fall into the same Service Class names and Workload names. There really isn't anything that distinguishes a user task from a started task task.

• 4.  Re: OPSTATUS and USS Tasks

Posted Nov 16, 2015 11:34 AM

Hey Travi,

I see our last recommendation of using the WLM performace class name in conjunction with OPSTATUS  did not help you.

Do you want to pursue this further at this time? If so can we have a ticket open instead of using the Communities?

Once we have it sorted out for you we can then come back and post one answer for the rest of the Community to know the outcome.

Keep us posted Travi

Regards, Cesar

• 5.  Re: OPSTATUS and USS Tasks

Posted Nov 19, 2015 10:45 AM

There is no need to pursue this further. I ended up creating several global variables with the prefix of USS tasks like GLOBALJ.EXCLUDE.SSH. Then in my code I check the global variables against the prefix of the job name and if it matches I ignore the task as a started task. This way any user generated session will still be flagged. This was essentially my PLAN B from above but instead of having a huge list of tasks as we had in the old implementation I ended up with just 6.

• 6.  Re: OPSTATUS and USS Tasks

Posted Nov 19, 2015 10:56 AM

Hello Travi,

Thanks for the follow up Travi.

Cesar