OPS/MVS

View Only
  • 1.  OPSMVS SSMBEGIN Question

Posted Jun 23, 2015 10:20 AM

I'm in the process of changing up the SSMBEGIN/SSMBEGUX  rule.

What I'm going to do that if OPSMVS recycles manually I don't want the display to show up and scare the operation personal panicking thinking that the system wants to IPL, so set the  WTOR(N) and take the checkpoint_state as the DEFAULT(6).

I have that working not a problem, but as I sit here thinking about what could go wrong (like all automation people do ).   My scenario I'm thinking about is, what for for SOME reason OPSMVS does and emergency shutdown (once is OK) over and over,

What to do then?  I guess I could set a timer is like if started up in the last 2 minutes?

Just putting this question out there to see what ideas/options/experiences people have had/or think of.

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  Re: OPSMVS SSMBEGIN Question

Posted Jun 25, 2015 02:37 PM

I only put the WTOR up when we are running a DR exercise otherwise I always do a normal noprompt OPS/MVS startup. What I've done is created an AOFINITREXX that creates a global variable reading a system symbol (IEASYMxx of parmlib) that determines whether we are in DR or not. SSMBEGUX checks the variable are reacts accordingly.

Another option is to use the OPSINFO('PRODUCTSTARTS') function. If the value is > '1' use WTOR(N). That way anytime OPS/MVS restarts (regardless of the reason except during an IPL) the WTOR does not appear.