XCOM Data Transport

View Only
  • 1.  The OpenSSL feature of XCOM for transfers between XCOM for Z/OS and XCOM for Windows

Posted Feb 08, 2016 06:09 AM

Has any of you implemented the OpenSSL feature of XCOM for transfers between XCOM for Z/OS and XCOM for Windows? My boss wants to know if it has been done in a production environment, what performance costs might be for it, what vulnerability tests has been run to make sure that it really delivers what it is promising (namely, encrypted traaffic). Please offer any experiences that you may have.

Thanks

Yohai Ben Ami

UMTB

• 2.  Re: The OpenSSL feature of XCOM for transfers between XCOM for Z/OS and XCOM for Windows

Posted Feb 18, 2016 05:06 PM

Hi Yohai,

The XCOM for z/OS team wants you to know that OPENSSL has been supported by XCOM for z/OS and Windows for many years.  Please note that encrypting data does require extra overhead and will impact performance as compared to running non-OPENSSL transfers. There are also many environmental factors, such as hardware, network, and CPU to name a few,  that can affect performance and that are outside of XCOM’s realm.  If performance is your concern, we suggest that you try running different test transfers at your site and have your network administrator use any available packet analyzer such as Wireshark to trace the connection between the two systems.  This should help you in verifying the performance of transfers as well as seeing that XCOM is indeed encrypting the data being sent.

Regards,

The XCOM for z/OS Team

• 3.  Re: The OpenSSL feature of XCOM for transfers between XCOM for Z/OS and XCOM for Windows

Posted Feb 21, 2016 04:25 AM

Hello Agnes,

Thanks for writing back !

My boss is a big fan of the question "who else has done this already", and "do those people run the same business that we do (i.e. finances). So, I thought I could offer him some answers to these questions. Could you name enterprises that have deployed this capability in a production environment (as opposed to some lab tests)?

Regards,

Yohai

• 4.  Re: The OpenSSL feature of XCOM for transfers between XCOM for Z/OS and XCOM for Windows

Posted Feb 22, 2016 08:39 AM

Hi Yohai, Your question is posted to the community and we invite the community to reply to your request.  -Kathy Mander, Support Delivery