Software Management Group

View Only
  • 1.  Need help to create Microsoft Office 2010 Software Package for Deployment using Altiris

Posted Jan 08, 2014 04:21 PM
    Does anyone have a guide to create a software package for Microsoft Office 2010 for deployment using Altiris?  I have searched this forum but all I found is virtualizing office 2010.

• 2.  RE: Need help to create Microsoft Office 2010 Software Package for Deployment using Altiris

Posted Jan 08, 2014 06:08 PM

Hi Billyjean,

I have created a document "How to Install Microsoft Visio 2010 Through Altiris 7.1 sp2" and just submitted for the approval as soon as it will be approved by the administrator I will provide a link in your post.

it is working fine in my environment.

regards

Hussainshah

• 3.  RE: Need help to create Microsoft Office 2010 Software Package for Deployment using Altiris

Posted Jan 09, 2014 12:42 PM

Thanks Hussainshah.

Will it work with installing MS Office?  I think there some customization to install it silently using the Office Customization Tool to create a MSP file.

• 4.  RE: Need help to create Microsoft Office 2010 Software Package for Deployment using Altiris

Posted Jan 09, 2014 12:51 PM

The following should do the trick:

1.  Create the required MST files.

2.  Add them to the folder that contains the office install files.

3.  Import office into the Software Catalog.

4.  Review the applicability and detection rules that get created by that process, and modfiy or create additional ones if needed.

5.  Create a Managed Software Delivery policy that targets the office Software Release, and create the relevant command lines to use the individual MST files.

6.  Configure the MSD with a schedule, target, etc, and then enable it for testing.

You only create a MSP file if you wish to deploy a patch to an existing install.

• 5.  RE: Need help to create Microsoft Office 2010 Software Package for Deployment using Altiris

Posted Jan 09, 2014 02:16 PM

the real work is to create the MST file to customize office to fit your enviroment. As previously said load the MST with your software package to the software libary. 

It can be a quick task also - does not have to be a policy - I would recomend a policy for the office install because of the size. We just flipped 11,000 machines to office 2010 from office 2003 in the lsat 6 months and are in process of upgrading all installs to office 2013. 

• 6.  RE: Need help to create Microsoft Office 2010 Software Package for Deployment using Altiris
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 09, 2014 03:18 PM

Hi BillyJean,

Here you go its a step by step document for MS Visio you can create a package of MS Office 2010 to install in same way

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-install-microsoft-visio-2010-through-altiris-71-sp2

if it solves your problem don't forget to mark as solution

Regards

• 7.  RE: Need help to create Microsoft Office 2010 Software Package for Deployment using Altiris

Posted Jan 09, 2014 03:21 PM

Hi BillyJean

It will install silently and you can create MS Office package in sameway

• 8.  RE: Need help to create Microsoft Office 2010 Software Package for Deployment using Altiris
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 13, 2014 05:34 AM

Hello BillyJean,

You could use following guide to install MS Office 2010 x86 using ITMS:

1. Extract content of MS Office ISO package to any folder
    2. Download Microsoft Office 2010 Customization Tool and extract admin folder to the MS Office x86 installation folder
    3. Configure silent office installation creating custom MSP file for x86 Office installation according to this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naU1-Q8o9xs
    4. Import MS Office to the console specifying 'setup.exe' from appropriate folder as an installation file.
    5. Modify command line as following:
    1. Name: Install x86
    2. Command type: Install
    3. Command Line (Office.msp – is your MSP file): setup.exe /adminfile Office.msp
    4. Success codes: 0, 1641, 3010
    1. Add necessary detection and/or applicability rule (e.g. Static File Expression rule checking for Base folder ‘ProgramFiles(x86)’ with file path to “Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.exe” and version > 1.0)
    2. After that you could rollout MS office to the clients via Managed Delivery policy or Quick Delivery task

Please note that if you are using x64 version of MS Office than the root installation folder will be MSOffice\x64 of MSOffice\x86 and steps above should be repeated for x64 installation as well.

Additionally I would like to recommend you to modify config.xml file located in .WW folder (e.g. ProPlus.WW in my case) un-commenting and changing first line as follows:

<Display Level="basic" CompletionNotice="no" SuppressModal="yes" AcceptEula="yes" />

In this case command line should be changed to the following:

setup.exe /adminfile Office.msp /config /config ProPlus.WW/config.xml

Please let me know if this information helps you.