Endpoint SWAT: Protect the Endpoint Community

View Only
  • 1.  Multiple GUP Provider list - SEP 12RU3

Posted Sep 19, 2013 03:57 AM

Hi, We want to do the following confguration.

Site A - Head Office - SEPM

Site B - Regional office - GUP to all branches in this region

Site B1 - Has its own GUP for this site.

If you add Site B and Site B1 IP in the Multiple GUP provider list - is there a specific order that you need to place the IP addresses or will it look at Site B' GUP even though Site B1's GUP is operational? Do I disabled the Single GUP IP option and just enable the multiple GUP provider list or do I keep
    both options enabled and just add the Site B's IP to the multiple GUP list.

Also, what happens with "Never bypass" when configuring the above if it is enabled?

• 2.  RE: Multiple GUP Provider list - SEP 12RU3

Posted Sep 26, 2013 05:01 AM

Hello,

when using the multiple GUP option, each client will parse the list of GUPs top-down and pick up the first found in the same subnet.

When using the single GUP, the clients set to use it, will use only that GUP, regardless of the subnetting.

Not sure what is not clear about "never bypass" option, it allows or not your clients to bypass GUPs and go to the SEPM to get latest definitions after X days of inability in doing it from GUPs.

AFAIK, you can't enable both sigle and multiple GUP (in the same LU policy), does you SEPM allow you to do it? If not, clarify what you need.

• 3.  RE: Multiple GUP Provider list - SEP 12RU3

Posted Sep 26, 2013 05:40 AM

When using Multiple GUPs, the order in which they are entered makes no difference.

When using Multiple GUPs, the chosen GUP is based on if the SEP client is in the same subnet only.  If Site B and Site B1 are on different subnets, then a client in Site B1 will never use the GUP in Site B.  If they are in the same subnet however, the the GUP with the lowest IP address is used.

If you enable the Single GUP option, then this is only attempted after the client has failed to contact a Multiple GUP.  The Single GUP option is essentially where the Backup GUP option moved in RU2.

As per the article I posted in your other thread, the order goes as below:

1. Try Multiple GUPs
    2. Try Explicit GUPs
    3. Try Single GUP
    4. Try SEPM if allowed (if set to "Never Bypass" this step is not attempted)

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO81148

#EDIT#

Again (as per your other thread), if you want the GUP in site B to act as the failover update point for clients in Site B1 (i.e. if B1-GUP fails then use B-GUP), the you have to configure B-GUP as either an Explicit GUP or as a Single GUP in the LU policy assigned to the clients in Site B1.  Assuming Site B and Site B1 are different subnets, then B-GUP will never be used by clients in Site B1 unless added as either an Explicit or Single GUP.

• 4.  RE: Multiple GUP Provider list - SEP 12RU3

Posted Sep 26, 2013 08:19 AM

Will test it out and let you know.

Thanks in advance for all assistance