Software Management Group

View Only
  • 1.  Send Basic Inventory Fails

Posted Nov 19, 2013 06:08 PM

I'm having an issue pulling updated information from workstations in Altiris 7.1.  We are in the process of upgrading our workstations from Office 2007.  I ran a report and determined which workstations had Office 2007 installed.  So we have gone to those and removed and installed the latest version.  I ran a report again and found many systems we already upgraded were still showing to have Office 2007.  I tried to run a Send Basic Inventory Task from some of those systems but after a while it will show as Failed.  The task was killed because it took longer than the allowed time.

Is this the best task to run?  I'm just trying to get our workstations to show the latest software they have installed.  If this is the correct task to run what would cause it to keep failing?  Thanks for any help on this issue.

• 2.  RE: Send Basic Inventory Fails

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 20, 2013 04:21 AM

Hi oscarc619,

Did you try to use "Software Discovery" policy task to run it on your managed workstations?

How it can be enabled, assigned and executed:

1. Open Symantec Management Console -> Settings -> All Settings ->

► Expand "Software" folder -> expand "Software Catalog and Software Library Settings" folder -> click on "Software Discovery"

► Enable "Software Discovery" task and choose appropriate option for Software discovery

► Go to "Schedule" tab and set appropriate scheduled time for this task execution on your workstations

► Save changes

Scan1.jpg

2. When all settings are set for "Software Discvoery" policy -> refresh policies on your managed workstations.

► After that scheduled "Software Discovery" policy task will be delivered on workstations and executed on scheduled time -> all information about installed software on each workstation will be populated in SMP Server.

Thanks,

IP.

• 3.  RE: Send Basic Inventory Fails

Posted Nov 20, 2013 06:04 AM

Basic Inventory is performed by the SMA and does not gathwer software data.

Yes you could use the Software discovery scan as mentioned above if you just have Software Management Solution instaled; however, if you also have Inventory Solution installed, then you will find that that scan has been disabled, as it gets integrated into Inventory Soilutions AddRemove Program scan.

Either run the full or delta software inventory scan, or create your own scan that only runs the ARP scan.

• 4.  RE: Send Basic Inventory Fails

Posted Nov 20, 2013 12:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. 

SK I tried creating a New Inventory Policy and to scan weekly the Add/Remove Programs.  When I run a resource manager on one of the systems it does now show Office 2010 installed but also lists Office 2007.  Am I doing something wrong?  The system doesn't have Office 2007 installed anymore.  Would the Software Discovery Policy not display previously installed software?  

Thanks for the help.

• 5.  RE: Send Basic Inventory Fails

Posted Nov 20, 2013 01:10 PM

I am glad that the ARP scan has helped.

You appear to be experiencing a known issue which has been addressed in 7.1.2 MP1.1 v6RU I believe.  As v7RU is out, please contact support so that you can obtain that RU instead.