Columbus Endpoint Management User Group

View Only

Change the Icon for Custom Resource Types 

May 03, 2010 04:12 PM

Are you still running Altiris 6 with Asset Management Solution?  Have you created custom Resource Types but have been frustrated that the icon for these is always that computer/telephone combination icon?  With some quick edits to the XML of the Resource Type and re-importing it, you can change the icon to virtually anything you want.

Our company is starting to purchase several iPad's and we wanted to keep them as a separate resource type since they aren't exactly computers or cell phones / smart phones.  We also have several other custom resource types and it was getting frustrating staring at several completely different resource types that all shared the same icon.

If you view the XML on one of the standard resource types like Computer or Monitor, you'll see a line below the localizations section but above the security section that looks something like this:

<presentation defaultImage="/Altiris/Images/icn20Comp-Desktop.gif" /> 
This line is, conveniently, missing from any custom resource type you create, though.  I found that by exporting one of my custom resource types, adding this line to the XML in the same location as it is on the canned resource types, saving, and re-importing that I am able to change the icon to whatever I need.

There are several stored in C:\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Web\Images on the Altiris server -- just look at the files that start with icn16 or icn20 to find the one you want, and update the above reference to icn20Comp-Desktop.gif and you're all set.

Happy modifying!

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.